What kind of reel do u prefer for largemouth bass fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 26, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hi guys i was wondering what kind of reel everyone prefers when fishing for largemouth bass spincasting, spinning, or baitcast reels. I personally like spinning reels cuz i can cast them a lot quicker when i need to get under trees and such. what does everyone else prefer.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Abu 4500's and a calcutta for flipping

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Baitcasters and got a new Pflueger Supreme awhile back. Baitcasters hold up to the casting and reeling required for bass fishing better than spincasters. Spinning reels are great for light lures and do use then but not very often.

4. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i prefer spin casters. they cast the best and have the most sensitivity

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    theres gotta be more people to share what reel they like to use. come one people and thanks guys for your input keep em coming.

6. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    in my opinion if you truly spend any amount of time bass fishing you automatically got to get rid of the spincaster. yea, they can be reliable but they dont compare to the others. as far as baitcasters and spinning reels, they both have their place. i like to use bait casters for the majority of my fishing though. i will use spinning tackle for finess lures (dropshot rigs, wacky rigs, etc) and an occasional topwater. for the rest i use baitcasters, i like to have rods set up for the different styles of fishing. crankbait rods with a medium soft action tip, flipping rods 7ft+ with medium heavy to heavy action, spinner bait rods etc.......this all only applies if you are a diehard bass fisherman....

7. texasdog

texasdog New Member

State:
    Texas
    Shimano Curado they are expensive but they are the best reel I have ever used

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pflueger president, I use 4 of them and the pflueger trion round model 2 of them for my jigs and for flippin. I keep all 6 ready to go and switch many times per day.

9. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I use a Zebco Classic One, Spincaster. 17lb line.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I use both spinning and baitcasting reels. You can get a pretty decent abu garcia spinning at wal-mart for about 30 bucks. I started as a youngster with a baitcasting reel - if its you're first time using one it might take a bit to cast well without tangling up your spool.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I started Bass fishing when I was 12 useing 2-3 inch blue gill on a cane pole still my favrite way nothing like seeing that bobber go down:smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    shakespeare sigma for casting jigs into lily pads and weed beds(and cat tales) and for fishing lizards under bushes,shimano b1000 for crankbaiting near strucher,and a microspin ultralite carolina rigged for shooting under and near docks.
    btw the first 2 reels are baitcasters and the last one is an spinning reel

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... Started bass fishing in 1971. Back then spincast reels were worth the money, but now..... 'nough said.

I use spinning reels for spinners (immediate retrieve when the lure hits the water), but for everything else I just got a new combo:
    6' M Ugly Stik with Abu Garcia Amb 4500, 10# line.

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't bass fish much but when I do I have a small rhino baitcasting combo that I use.

15. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    any low profile baitcaster....and some worm hooks and gulp sinking minnows....catch bass all day

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Shimano Curado's and Shimano Calais 100A
    these are what I use.

17. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i like what ever reel will hold about 80 lb test that i can tie a 15/0 hook to and put it though the back of a 18 incher:big_smile:

18. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok thanks guys so theres about a tie between spinning and baitcast they both have there place. come on theres gotta be more people.

19. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Maybe someone could start a pole like this cuz i dont know how if someone could pm I would start the poll thanks.

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I also learned many years ago to use baitcasters and use them for everything. I have some other reels but very seldom use them.