What kind of Penn to buy

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigbigjoe76, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    Been looking at the Penn reels. Don't know which one to would be best for me. I want something a little bigger than my abu 6000. The models I have in mind are the 9m, 209m, 220gto. Gonna put it on an 8' rod and will prob only use it out of a boat. Any advice on these 3 reels would be helpful. Thanks!

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have several 209's no complaints, never used the other models.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The Penn 209 is a great, rugged reel. It's only drawback is that it doesn't cast quite as well as some of the other Penn reels, but fishing from a boat, that may not matter. IMO, the 220GTO is just as rugged, but smoother casting, if you need the extra distance. They're both about the same size. The 9m is a little smaller reel. If you think you're going to be catching +#30 cats, I'd go with one of the other two, since they hold a little more line. Of course, you can always chase the hooked cat with a boat.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have several Penn reels.... 9m level wind, 200 surf master, 309 level wind, 149 deep sea, a 650 spinning reel. They are all good reels. I can cast the 9m best. all of them can handle really big fish.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    If can affod it look at Penn Internationals. Thier pretty nice. I have a 975CS. No complaints.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have, 209 220 and 230 965 penns if I was going a all round cat reel I would go with 220. Had mine cleaned and lube the other day. 4.50 each, The guy said he was more impressed with the 220. I've good luck with mine, the 209 is a work horse but slower retrieve, as stated above not as smooth.
    Jim

7. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    I use the 310GTi and the 320GT2 on rods from 7ft 6 to 9ft. Gear ratios are 4.2-1 on the 310 and 4.3-1 on the 320. check them out :wink:

8. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I use the 209m and the 220 GTO. I would recommend the 220 GTO also, because of the faster retrive (4.2-1) and it seems to be a little smoother. I am getting me another one soon.

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 of the Penn 320 GT2 levelwind trolling reels. They're paired with 7' Ugly Stick Tiger rods. I use these while fishing for flatheads around stump piles and submerged trees. They don't cast as well as an Abu, but I believe they're much stronger.

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I have a Penn 320 GTO and it's a nice reel. It's BIG though! I've read and asked alot of questions about the Penn 220 GTO, and I've decided to get a couple of'em. Catfish Connection has them on sale right now for like $46! I'm getting ready to order 2 of them. I'm pretty sure they are on sale until the 31st of this month. Better hurry!

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    For the money, and at that sale price the 220 would be hard to beat.
    Good luck with what ever one you decide on.

12. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Joe,
    I recently bought my first Penn Reel. I got the 230 GTO and I love it. I was like you, wanted a little more reel than the Garcia 6000. The only complaint I have is that the 230 GTO is big and bulky. It weighs something like 27 ounces. It handles fish fine and the retrieve is good unlike the much slower 209's. I fish with a friend who has some of the 209's and they are a good durable reel that seem to last a lifetime, but way too slow of retrieve for my liking. I think the next reel Im gonna go with will be the 220 GTO. rspd507

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the 9 itsn reaal biger than a 6000 the gear ratio that others mentioned is a good point. i like having 4:1 or 4.3 or what ever they are that the 220gtos have. when they get below that 3:1 2:1 it takes a really long time to reel your line in and when their higher 5:1 6:1 its sometimes hard to gain line back on a bigger fish or with alot of current. so as far as your reels mentioned id say the 220gto or like others said the 320gt2 for a few more $$$$

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Are you going to be going down to the coast at times for saltwater fishing?If so,what for?This would make a difference if you wished a rig to handle both.

I have the Penn 345 GTI spooled with with 600 yds.of Bass Pro 30 lb.mono.mounted on a Diawa 7 ft.one piece Beef Stick 15-50 lb rod.for dual purpose fishing.Big Cats,Cobia and King Mackerel fishing.The reel is also rated for 370 yards of 50 lb.mono.The 7 ft.rod length was for traveling and the 15-50 lb.rating was for versatility.

f I got it right in my memory,Gilbert was a "Crossroad Whistle" stop on the RR between the small communities of Summit & Elsie in the 50's when I lived at Santee.How big is it now?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the opposite opinion of the other guys. I have both the 209's and the 220 gto's. The 209's I have are smoother than my 220's! I like the 209's MUCH better! The 220's are also heavier. If you dont mind a slower retrieve, get 209's! Just my 2-cents!:wink:

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i hae a 309 and an pearless #9 that is over thirty years old that i am doing some work on....first i am going to replace the idler gear,then put in a new stack of smooothie carbon drag washers,and pollish the metal washers,i have cleaned and polished all the chrome and worm,line guide and worm gaurd,cleaned every inch until it was spotles,put in a new dog spring,thinking bout a new power handle and meybe a new gear sleeve.when i get done it will be tha ultimate penn9 muahahahah......oh, sorry.but i would go with the 9m if you dont need to hold alot of heavy line,and it will handle WAY more than a 6000-6500 maybe even a 7000 if you work it right.now im a die hard abu guy but i have worked on both and the abu just does not stack up to a penn in any way except castabilty.hope this helps.

kenny-

17. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    I own three 209s and two 320gt2 and one 220 gto. the 220gto is smooth casting and so are the 320 gt2's. The 209 is an all around work horse but has much slower retrieve than the 220 and 320. Ive owned abu's and wont buy another one again, nothing against them but penns are built much better and i wont a reel thats going to last a lifetime. Try one out, you wont be dissapointed