What kind of muzzleloader do you use

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by thomcat, Sep 5, 2006.

1. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    what kind of muzzelloder do u use........??? and what kind would u recomend?

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a CVA Buckhorn magnum( 209 primer). Actually, I have had it for 2 years, but never used it. I am going to use it this year, if I don't fill my tags first. Good luck to all !!

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I use a CVA hunterbolt magnum, shoots up to 150 grains but I use 125. Also has the 209 primer, nothing fancy but it works for me. There are alot of great smokepoles out there, whatever you choose should be fine.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have one that has not been fired since I have been around, it's a Caywood, I don't even think they make them anymore.

5. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i shoot a knight disc elite in 45 cal. 150 grains of powder with a burris 3-9-40 scope. this is my muzzleloader for deer that's why i went with the 45. if shooting bigger game like bear elk or caribou i would step it up to the 50. my personal opinion is you can't go wrong with knight or thompson center both are excellent guns

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I use the new Knight muzzle loader,and I have to say that I really like it.shoots like a dream and is very very accurate

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my first year muzzleloader hunting. i got a deal. a .45 cal cva with 209 firing. it is a $130 gun. walmart was clearencing them out before getting rid of guns. $49. got scope mounts for $7 on clearence. bought a scope from my cuz for $20. a bsa. at 100 yards i was hitting a 6" circle. took it out the other day. 2 shots at a foam deer from 40 yards. both right through the head. i cant wait.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I have a Cabela's Hawkins(Investarms) in .54 cal, likes a patched roundball with 80 gr. of fffg Goex.

Also have a CVA St. Louis Hawkins in .50 cal, the boy(10) shoots it with 30 gr. of fffg Goex.

I really have a burn'n yearn'n for a .36 cal flintlock squirrel gun, long barrel, full stock, and no pretty brass fixin's.

9. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I hunt old school with a lancaster county long rifle which is a flintlock, 50 cal and 35" barrel, flintlock puts the challenge back in hunting, modern muzzle loaders is like fishing at a pay lake.

10. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    T C Hawken .50 cal. with a Green Mountain .32 drop in barrell for squirrels.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a 50 caliber Thompson Center Encore last year. Picked it up the evening before opening day. Three days later I had tagged three deer. I have since put a Leupold 2 x 7 scope on it. I shoot 100 grain pyrodex and powerbelt bullets. She a tack driver at 100 yards. I also had Thompson's Custom Shop make me a 300 whisper barrel. I want to tag a deer with it this fall during the regular season.

12. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I shoot a CVA Optima .50 cal with the 209 Primer Ignition. My hunting load is a 295 grain Powerbelt and 100 grains of Triple Seven powder(pellets). I just resighted it for the season and I am shooting a 3 round shot group at 100 yards that is 1/2 inch low of dead center. Used it the last two years and filled the freezer.

13. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i have a TC and i love it

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Shoot a Remington 700 ML, upgraded to use 209 Primers, 54 Cal. I put two 60 Gr. pyrodex pellets in it & I use 325 gr. Barnes expanders.

I wish I had bought a 50 cal. instead, try to get 54 cal. stuff :angry:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    My favorite form of muzzle loading is done with a fork:lol: I can under extreme weather conditions use a spoon if need be.In the case of fried chicken I "Hand" load my muzzle ,sometimes with both hands.Never know when you will hurt one hand and have to switch off.:lol: :eek:oooh:I don't think I am the only BOC member using this form of muzzle loading either.I was at a fish fry the other day with some fellow BOCsters and their muzzles were being loaded as fast as humanly possible I would say.:lol: :smile2:

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I muzzle load hunt but this is funny and probably not far from the truth on some of us. LMA:lol: O

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    THOMPSON CENTER OMEGA!!!

or ENCORE

BOTH ARE GREAT GUNS

ALSO ONE OF MY FRIEND'S dads has a TC PROHUNTER

AND HE SAYS IT IS ONE SWEET GUN!!!

so maybe lol

GOOD LUCK

Jeff

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A 50 cal.CVA flint lock.A 50 cal.CVA Bobcat cap lock.And a 45 cal.Thompson Cherokee cap lock is what I used.I would buy each again.peewee-williams

19. hunter 327

hunter 327 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I use a Knight MK-85 50 cal. ,it shoots great and is very accurate. Have never had a problem with the gun.

20. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use a cva hunterbolt. last season i got a really nice west texas w/tail that scored 132. it is 50 cal. i had a 54 cal before but it is easier to find powder pellets for the 50 cal. i use black belt bullets and have had good success with them on hogs and deer.