What kind of line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catchinghogs, Feb 25, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just got a new reel today an abu 6600ssc3 the line capacity is 245 yards of 14 pound test. I usally use 30 pound mono on my spinning reels. Anyone have any suggestions on the type of line i should use on this reel dont want to use real think mono any suggestions.Thank you

2. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i like to use Iron Silk by Berkley ranging from 4lb on light tackle up to about 10 or 12lb. it is very thin and yet very strong and has a very good knot strength. this line also has almost no memory and i havent had any breakoffs with it. ive been using this line for a while and i dont think id trust anything else.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    20-lb berkly biggame would be my suggestion.

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    is the line diameter any smaller than regular 20 pound test ?

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Everybody has their favorite line, but you have to consider the type of fishing they do. And you should do the same. No one line is going to be the best in all situations.

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Spiderwire Stealth and or Power Pro. I loaded 3 reels up today.
    I just spooled 2 6500C3's with Spiderwire stealth. 50lb test 14lb diameter. I was almost able to use all 300 yards to fill each reel.
    ON a shimano Bantam 10. I used powerpro 30lb test 8lb diameter.
    I like these lines on my reels.
    One note, use alot of tension when spooling baitcasters with braids. Otherwise, let your line out on the next boating outing and reel in. (YOu dont want the line to sink in first big fish you get)
    thanks
    Larry

7. vnvnrb

vnvnrb New Member

I swear by power pro any more,its great line i use it on all of my reels.
    I mainly use 50 lbs test ,but on two reels i have 65lbs test.I have yet lost any gear to snags or fish.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Not sure how you fish and what you use for baits. The super-lines do have some real atvantages except fot the abrasion resistance that is.

There is another post going on this topic that if you have not seen it yet, you should go there.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    A braid would be a good start, but berkley big game is an excellent mono. I have it on a smaller open face spinning combo and realy like it for a mono line.

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I would personally suggest somewhere between 14 and 20 pound test cajun red cast. I used the stuff last summer, and now I am hooked like a channel cat on stinkbait ;) Its some tough stuff, and definitley pulls its weight around. Be careful when trying to break it though, because it WILL slice you up if youre not careful. You can get it at Walmart for a little over 4 dollars for a 300 yard spool. Like others say too, berkley big game is also an excellent line, and they are both pretty much equal from what I have seen, and they are just different colors. The cajun is a little bit cheaper though, and I kind of have my own support for why the red disappears in the water.

:0a26:

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have heard good and bad about cajin line, but mostly bad. Try different lines and see what works best for you. For me it is mostly spiderline but to each his own.

12. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Power Pro Or Spiderwire 50-65#

13. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you are going to fish any can of structure, use stren high impact. its is the most abrasion resistane ive found.