what kind of line to use

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by medford, Feb 14, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    gonna respool my reels but not sure what line i wanna use what are:cool2: you all using and had good luck with

2. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Do a search for braided there is lots of info here. Switching was the smartest thing I ever did.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Steve I just bought some Stren MagnaFlex in 50lb test. Not sure how good it is but for the price I thought I would try it. I paid 17 dollars for 1000 yards. Enough to do my reels. Braid is to pricy for my blood.

Tom

4. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    BERKLEY BIG GAME SOLAR, I get mine from Catfish Connection, with certain spools you get a rebate from Berkley that makes it practically free. Can beat it for strength in my opinion.
    Stickbender

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    spiderwire 60lb test braid. it will get in anyfish you need and some things you probally dont want lol

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Power Pro 100# braid, exclusively, with a 60# fluorocarbon leader.

Bill in SC

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Ive used just about everything out there from mono to braid

my top choices of mono are that i use right now is

on my abu 6000 reels is 30 # excalibur silver thread and i love this line in water with no current to slow current , It casts very well and low memory and has a good amount of stretch wich i like using circle hooks .

on my abu 7000 reels is 40 # berkley big game , I use these reels and line when fishing heavy current using 6 to 12 ounce sinkers , also when spider rigging with live bait , and bottom bouncing in rivers .
    The main reason i like this line is because of its abrastion qualities and COST its allways on sale at a good deal somewhere i buy in bulk spools also makes it cheaper . im fishing out of a boat with this set up so im just pitching my baits and not trying to cast a football field away so memory dosnt bother me at all .

as far as braid i really liked TUFF . LINE it was the best braid i ever fished with , the muskey salt and pepper line .

to be honest there are so many good quality lines now adays dont stress your self over it and try the different brands out until you fall in love with the 1 you like :wink::wink:

and trust me just because a brand is more exspensive dosnt mean its better in strength !!!!!!!!!!!
    like all things now adays alot of hype and sales pitches ....

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to agree with Scottey...I have used several brands and my top chioces are Berkley 40lb big game abrasion resistant mono & PP ....If money means nothing I'd pp all my reels but being a less well of gent the Berkley big game fits the bill nicely...The market does have alot of good chioces out there and I will still try anything I have'nt allready!...good luck!

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    IMO Braided is acutally cheeaper than mono. Becuase I use it for 4 years vise 6 months. I will leave it on for 2 years then pull it off and respool it backwards for the last 2 years. But even if it didnt have the duration value I would use it becuase I dont like the memory of mono. I do agree with the above about silver theard being the lowest memory monos. I used it before I switched.

10. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Berkley 30 pound Big Game and have never had a problem. Biggest fish I have caught on it was 84 pounds caught last year, I use 40 pound Big Game for a leader also. The nice thing about Berkley is you can get it at any Wal-Mart if you need to. Chris

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    berkley big game, sufix, power pro. Even used Cajun Red with good results.are all good lines I've used in the past. really can't complain with any of them, personally.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Well Steve, :0a14:

I guest that I have to say that I fish for a lot of species of fish (like a lot of the Members here :wink:), so I go between a lot of the fishing lines that I use:

When I use Monofilament line I doing a lot Striper, Largemouth Bass & other Pan fishing, and at that time I like useing a lot of lines made by Berkley Trilene & Stern.
    &
    If I go Braid, I mostly go with Sufix when it comes down to size line that I use.

With any of those fishing lines, it all depends on the fish that I'm going after & its size when it comes down to the size of that line.
    :wink:

13. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I was going to use mono it would be Berkley Big Game 40# test. I have switched all my rods to Sufix Braid 65#. It is a little pricey but you don't have to respool every year.

14. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I love powerpro 80# braid never had any problem with it at all.I don't like mono in heavy current because of line twist.Plus I have never had a fish break me off at all.And like the other guys said you don't have to respool every year.

15. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Im thinking about using powerpro this year also:cool2::cool2:

16. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    I always used different types of spider wire but this year i bought 100 pound power pro microfilament line and ive used it a few times and i really like it, Not to big, casts really nice too

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i use braid on my bottom bouncing rigs cause i am holding my rod while drifting and bouncing. i can feel underwater structure through the braid and my graphite rod much better than mono. and u can feel a fish when he picks up your bait. but when trolling with rods in rod holders i like mono because of the stretch if you get a hard bite from a big fish or get snagged on something. i do hate to get snagged with mono because the line stretches and is hard to break free. sometimes u just have to use the trolling motor or main motor to take off and break it.