What kind of knots does everyone tie

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just wondering what kind of knots everyone ties.

I snell my hooks and tie palomar knot for everything else. I think they are the strongest.

What kind do you tie????

Josh

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Same here Josh, except I don't snell all my hooks, just the ones with up or down eyes.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Trilene knot for everything.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Like I tie my shoes Josh. Only know I know how to tie. LMAO

Fishermans knot is what I've always called what I tie.

5. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
  6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I always tie an improved clinch knot: The absolute most popular knot used today. This easy to tie knot maintains 85% of line strength. Here is a good how to on to tie it, just watch the demonstration. With this knot tied to my line I have yet to lose a hook coming loose while fighting even monsterous fish 40+ lbs.

http://www.troutlet.com/images/knots/imprcinchknot.gif

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always used the improved clinch knot until I learned many experienced fishermen using the palomer whe the snell wasn't applicable. Nothing scientific, but I tied several improved clinch knots and tested them against the palomer knots on the same line and the palomer knots were much stronger. I'll never tie another clinch knot on my tackle. Also, I started using a drop of superglue gel on my palomer knots (as suggested by many BOC fishermen). Haven't had the opportunity to test the glue vs. unglued yet, but I'm sticking with it.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have heard abouting glueing knots. What kinda glue do you use? Can you use it or little knicks in the line??

Thanks,
    Josh

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use Elmer's Super Glue Gel, but I assume any good super glue gel would work. I don't think I would trust using it on nics.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

half blood and palomar

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama

Although the most popular knot, the Improved Clinch is not the strongest by far.

A Hook Snell Knot retains 100% of line strength and provides better hooksets. Have to use it with hooks that have a snellable eye to be 100% effective.

The Palomer, Double Loop (Trilene Knot), and Rapala knots retain 95% of line strength. Can be used with any style hook.

Knots have been debated as much as about anything I can think of and there is a ton of literature and web sites about the subject. I think you should stick with what's been working for you...your doing something right.

12. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i don't think i would use super glue either. i have heard that super glue weakens some materials. i wouldn't chance it.

13. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use several types of knots. But the one i most recomend is a snell knot, especially for using any offset eye. I use Gamatksu Octopus Circles and they have offset eyes. With any offset eye (especially circle hooks) you want the line tied to the hook and not the eye. This creates a spot for the circle to pivot and greatly increases hookups!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I exclusively use the palomar knot.
    I've had line failure on ocassion and sometimes have to break off when snagged but I dont experience knot failure.

15. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The only 2 knots I use for any kind of fishing is the Palomer & Orvis knots.

16. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    After switching to 4 # line for crappie and seeing how the line "heated" up when tying the clinch knots I switched to the palomer knot and havent looked back.

17. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    with my octopus circles i snell em but with everything else i palomar it

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Granny Knot, Double Granny, Sheepshank,L.O.L. Polamer, And Trilene. J.D.Straka :smile2:

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I tie the palomar almost exclusively.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I tie snell knots on all my hooks.