what kind of knot to use with PowerPro?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by daniel-delarosa, Oct 25, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I heard PowerPro is really great line so I got some 65Lb test . I keep breaking it. I read one of the other posts and someone mentioned something about braided lines breaking from using the wrong kind of knot. So what kind of knot are you supposed to use?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    palomar(spelling) and nothing else for for tying to anything with an eyelet

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have never had any problem with the improved Trilene.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for the palomar knot. Are you using leaders or are you running 3-ways? You really need to run about 50 lb. mono for leaders. The power pro is not abrasion resistant and will break easier than you would think if it rubs against something.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Palomar for the braided. Use a mono leader of slightly lower test than the braided. If you use a swivel between the braided and the mono leader, attach the swivel to the braided with a palomar, then attach the mono to the swivel with an improved clinch knot. If you attach the mono leader directly to the braided, use an Albright knot. Also, if you follow recommendations and put a few layers of mono on your reel before putting on the braided, attach the two with an Albright knot. This knot works great for attaching mono and braided, or for connecting lines of greatly dissimilar diameter.

6. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Check out this link:
    http://www.powerpro.com/using/index.asp

Jerry

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Was the line breaking at the hook ? If it was its the hooks eye. I lost 2 huge fish this year because where the eye loops around to the shank there was a gap. That gap will cut your line fast if you have a heavy fish on it. Also if you use circle hooks, using a snell is suppose to increase you hook ups 10-20% better. It forces to hook to dig. But yea you should use a mono leader.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I cannot stand the 65lb Power Pro. I used 100lb for 3 years before trying to downsize. That problem will occur with the 65 IMHO.

I use the Palomar and the Trilene? Knot (line thru hok twist 6 times run line thru bottom loop then thru top loop, wet and cinch) with no issues. I do use a 50lb mono leader.... mainly for the convenience of stopping my sinker. Watch for sinker abrasion and change every once in a while.

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In my opinion, use a snell to connect braid to a hook. Use a uni-knot or a palomar to attach braid to a swivel.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you must tie a different snell than i do because my snell slips with braid. with pp i use the same knots you use the palomar or the double uni-knot, same as the uni except the line gets past through the eye twice before twisting it up. it makes the knot way stronger esp with mono.

11. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I use the uni-knot to tie the braid to the hook. And when I'm using a leader I connect them with a double uni-knot. This works so good for me I won't try any other knots.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ill tie mine to a swivel with a uni knot but go around the swivel twice before wrapping. For 30 pound ill wrap at least 8-10 times. I always use mono leaders.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Palomer for everything. I use 50lb power pro and 40lb mono for leaders. I have never had a knot slip yet.