What kind of knot for braided lines?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Alsey, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I tie extra three-way rigs and keep them in envelopes so I only have to fool with one knot to replace my terminal gear. I normally loop the line through the eye 2 or three times and then tie a 3-pass overhand knot, a 2-pass overhand knot, and then a single pass overhand knot pulling it tight each time. I use monofilament for the leaders coming off the threeway swive to the hook and weight. The mono is of the same strength as the braided. If I get snagged and have to break off the knot from the spool to the terminal is the one that always breaks.
    Do any of you use cinch knots with braided? I've found it to be difficult and it doesn't cinch down evenly like mono does. What other options are there?

Since my terminal rigs are large and pre-made a polmar is out of the question I think.

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Just go to a palomar knot or a uni knot.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I would have to agree on the Palomar.

As far as your cinching problems, are you wetting the braid to lube it before you're cinching?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Go to a palomar; the chinch knot, or even improved chinch knot just won't work on braided line.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jim I use the polimer knot it works good for me. I just leave about 1/16 in. on the tag end just in case it might slip a scoch.Bigcatman0816.

6. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ok, I'll try the polmar. I use the polmar on every knot I can but when you're tieing onto a 3-way swivel with an 8 oz weight and a 7-10 hook already tied onto it you've got to leave a pretty huge loop to pass that kind of stuff through.

I hate wasting braided because I'm a long caster and when I get down to 100 yards of line I usually respool and most of the braided line I get comes in 125 yards. I put a bunch of 40 lb test mono on the spool before I attach the braided so the spool will be mostly full.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've got my shad on ice waiting for the weather to break Sunday.

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I highly suggest the Polymar. Its the best knot I have ever used and you can tie it in the dark without a light.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I suggest the Trilene knot. Ive been using it this season , and Ive had no problems. I have had the Palomar slip loose on me a couple of times. :angry:

9. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
  10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Jim,
    You didnt mention what brand -type braided but I have same problem with some of the braids and find that after pulling your rig thru then try pulling palomar loop back close to tight (not pulling ends) helps. Otherwise it can cinch down tight on line before knot finishes.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I agree the palomar knot is a very good knot, but for what you are doing, why don't you try a uni-knot http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com? and see how it works for you. It is very easy to tie, even in the dark, and especially with braided lines. I use it almost exclusively for braided line, including the snell. As with any knot, lubricate well, draw snug smoothly and slowly, then give a tug on both ends to secure. Leave a short tag end. I've found them to be an excellent choice. I rarely have a knot failure.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    the uni knot is a good one or the allbright. I also lock the knots by makin a loop n runnin the end through 3-4 times and tightening down on top of the uni.