What kind of jugs

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Andrew Y'Barbo, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Andrew Y'Barbo

Andrew Y'Barbo New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was woundering what kind ok jugs you'll use, depth ,and style.

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I used to use this type of jug rig for most of my catfishing.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Jug spools1.JPG

Simple to set out and adjust for the depth. If a monster cat got caught and pulled the anchored jug into deeper water, the jug bottles were supposed to unwind and let out more line. Don't know whether it would or not...since I never caught a monster cat!:wink:

I set the hooks at 3-feet from the bottom anchor, then at 9-feet, then at 15-feet.

I have also used jugs made up from 3 or 4 layers of 1-inch styrofoam, 12-inches by 12-inches, tied together. Works well, but gets kind of heavy.

This year I went to the noddle style jug with the hooks set at the same depths. But, for many reasons...didn't set a one out all year! Sob!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It depends a lot on how you're jugging. Anchored jugs don't need high visibility, so that's not a concern; a big cat dragging the jug into deep water is, though. I only know of three ways to address this problem. First is to simply use a weight so heavy a cat can't drag it, but that makes pulling it back up very difficult. the second method has already been mentioned, which is to have extra line wound onto the jug so that it will unroll if the jug goes into deeper water. Third is to use a weight small enough (or a jug large enough) that the weight will not cause the jug to submerge. This is the method I use, and I don't use a weight heavier than half the floatation capacity of the jug. A 2-liter jug has a floatation capacity of about 4#, so I use a 2# weight. This allows enough of the jug to remain above water that it's not too difficult to locate. My jugline has 3"-4" droppers every 3' so I can attach hooks anywhere in the water column I want; or, I can cover the entire water column. (Be sure to check on how many hooks you are allowed per jug, or total number of hooks.)
    For freefloating jugs, there are numerous designs that work great, so long as you recognize their design limitations. For instance, foam swimming pool noodles work great so long as you use them where you can easily keep track of them. Using them in the current of a large river will really spread them out, and seeing them at long distances is difficult. Since I generally jug in the current of the Arkansas River, I need jugs with greater visibility than noodles. I find that 2-liter soda jugs are about as small as I can get by with. I've tried 3-liter jugs, but they just take up too much room. And storage space can definitely be a factor in the type of jug you choose. On freefloating jugs, I generally like to use lines as long as possible without hanging up too often, and I like hooks spread out from near the bottom to near the surface. For a weight I use a 16p or 20p nail, because I think using just enough weight to get the bait down is the best way to go. Again, be sure to check your regs. If I'm jugging for crappie, I make up special jugs, using 10# mono with a gold crappie hook and a split shot. Length of mono depends on the depth I want to fish.

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, I've never heard or thought about using jugs to catch crappie! I learn something new on the BOC everyday!

Do you have very good luck doing this?

5. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    I gess I should have said free float. All the men around her use 20 oz. bottles. I use a 20 oz bottle with a 30 inch drop. I gess I am cheap cheap for a kid. Do you think I could get away with using a 16 oz bottle. Thanl you for the help.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If 20 oz. jugs are being widely used on the waters you fish, you can probably get by with 16 oz. jugs. Just bear in mind that the smaller the jug, the longer a cat can hold it under water. I've had a cat under 10# take a 2-liter jug under and resurface 250-300 yards away. But that's unusual. Generally speaking, quart sized jugs would hold most of the cats I catch jugging; I use 2-liter jugs for the greater visibility they provide.

7. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    I cought two cat this last Saturday that both weighed 10 pound a peice with 20 oz. One of them I did not even know I had him. The other on jug made the jug bob a little. Thanks a lot, I was woundering if it would set the hook.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I like noodle jugs. Cheaper than 25 gallons of clorox.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess because the jug isn't pulling like you do with rod & reel, sometimes the cats don't fight the jug. And for the same reason, sometimes they are hooked very lightly, so don't go jerking hard on the line, and always use a net on any fish you really want to get in the boat.

10. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    We bought those small white jugs from walmart one day and they came with a hook and line and instructions but they did not work well at all. dad went out and got tons of thick pool noodles and taped reflective tape on them and put just the standard large weights you use on your catfish poles on the end of the line. Most of them have tons of extra line so when the catfish pulls at it, it unwinds and you can grab it. A lot of times when we left noodles over night there were noodles that had lines cut or that just happened to drift all the way to the other side of the lake with the string un wound.. we think people just grab em when we are asleep in the tent or at home

11. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I use pool noodles with pvc run up the middle. One end has a T to keep it from getting pulled thru..... also easy to pick up or tie it off to something if noodling from the banks. The other end has a cotter key thru the pipe and running thru a large swivel....... I have approx 20 ft of 30 lb test mono on it and can wrap it up around the handle end to set the depth. Most weights that I use are bank sinkers approx 2-4 oz...... or about the same they use on limb lines to keep the bait down. Attached is a pic of my noodles. I have added reflector tape around the head end of it along with a tag for my name address and phone number per Georgia Law.

12. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    DONT KNOW WHY THEY DIDNT GO THRU THE FIRST TIME BUT HERE IT IS AGAIN.

13. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    How do you guys deal with the snags. We often set them out and somehow when we pull them up ( 65-80 lb line ) we get a huge log ... do the fish swim under them and pull the hook out or does the line just drift under water. what kind of weights should we be using. Like altmah we use the standard weights for fishing poles enough to sink the fish on the hook. we thought about doing the can w/ cement idea but if we have 100 noodles theres no way we could transport 100 cement cans.

14. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    Thank you all. I have tried to use noodles but they are to expensive to lose . I will stick with 20 ox bottles.

If it ant broke then don't fix it

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use quart oil jugs 3 to5 ft droppers and free float them circle hooks don't hang on logs near as bad and cats will take it to a brush pile sometimes . I use trotline so the fish don't normally break off or twist the circle hook out. Sometimes its work to get fish out of the brush pile but I owe it to the fish to do so .

16. jugfisher

jugfisher Member

State:
    kentucky
    Name:
    Clint Howard
    i get the swimming noodles from walmart for about $3 apiece, i cut them in thirds. 50 lb mono (omniflex or something like that) which is about 3 dollars a spool, and usually 3/4 oz bell sinkers ( i can't remember the price but probably under $3). also 6/0 eagle claw khale hooks. I don't use pvc or anything through the noodle and i have caught some 20-30 lb blues with them. big ones seem to be able to hold the jug under for maybe 10 secs at a time before resurfacing in my past experience. i love the noodles, though. very high visiblity with their bright colors. and its the most inexpensive way i've found to make them.

Attached Files:

17. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    all these great ideas have set in motion a creative idea. I will keep you posted on the outcome and will keep track of the cost of this idea. I know some of us have to do with what we can and I plan on trying to maximize the good for the dollar spent. This will be a good experiment I will get my young impatient fishing partner involved in this endeavour. If it can keep the attention span of a 12 year old then those of us with more patience should be fine. I thank you for all your inputs so far and hope what I have in mind works.

18. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    pool noodles here are 1.99 each, that makes 3 jugs, 20oz sodas are 1.50..it takes you 4.50 to make your three 20oz jugs not to mention all the times you have to pee..i will not use a 20oz bottle simply because if you go to the river:any river, there are 9.3 million 20oz bottles and oil jugs along the sides of the bank.at least with a noodle you have a chance if you cant find yours that someone else will pick it up and keep the trash out of the river...

19. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Love this thread. I am thinking about jugging this year. Hope to see more

20. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Pool noodles are the way to go. I get the super size ones that are about 3.5 inch diameter and cut four per noodle. I cut 1/2 steel conduit in 6-8 inch lengths and fill them with lead for weights. That way, with the line wrapped around the noodle, the weight slips inside to hold everything in place. I only use two hooks per jug with one close to the bottom and the second hook 4-5 feet above that. With the hooks that far apart, there's plenty of space to land one fish while leaving the other (when I'm that lucky) in the water.