What kind of Jon boat would you get?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by veryama1975, Jan 18, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    What kind of jon boat, engine, trailer, fishfinder, etc. would you get if you didn't have much to spend? Also, where's the best place to look? Craigslist seems to be the best place to look that I've found so far. Assume that most of your boating will be on small to midsize river(St. Joseph, Grand River in MI & Wabash & White in IN) & lakes & if I'm lucky (in my dreams) w/ the occasional big (Ohio River, Mississippi River) river fishing trip.

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have fished all my life, well all of it I can remember. I have a 1648 Lowe now. I have talked about getting a bigger boat but I can pull this one with my little pickup at 22 mpg. I have a 25 horse Johnson on it and it gets me where I need to go. I am not as fast as some but I get there just the same. I have fished the Mississippi and also the Missouri. I haven't had any trouble. I am very careful about what I do on both big rivers. Safety first. is the main thing you need to remember. good luck..

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Like rusty said ,just watch what you do and you should be fine ,i have a 17ft simi v with 25 hp mercury never had a problem other than thowing the anchor out in the current with the rope wrapped around my ankle ,but that wasnt the boats problem.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    seaark boat suziki motor is my choice

5. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    @ stroke engines will last a very long time if you take care of them. @ strokes are easy to work on, don't know about the newer 4 strokes. They sure are quite though. Look at were you will be fishing before you buy. A V-hull will ride alot smoother than a jon in waves but a jon will go places the V would get bottomed out. A jon "feels" more stable walking around in as far as side to side movement. I've at times wanted a bigger boat but then I go through a foot of water behind an island and rethink it. Also I've ran aground on a sandbar and was able to get out and push my boat off. I've got an old Alumacraft bass boat that I cut back the front deck on with a 60 on it that has served me well.

6. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are looking NEW- check out the Lowe Website. They have some pretty good sale prices on 2008's

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Again, if a new boat is in the cards, I would look for one with a "receiver gunwale". These things are so simple, handy, and obvious, ya gotta wonder why it took this long. Lowe has 'em, so does Tracker.

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am sorry I had to laugh when I read this post...I hope you posted it for a response like this as you are posting it so it is funny...Could have turned soar I suppose but brother being your are safe and able to post this it is funny...Darn ancor ropes anyway.........LOL:big_smile::wink::tounge_out:

9. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know money is an issue you stated but take a look at a used Grizzly or a Sea Ark...

All welded and the thickest aliuminum I know of in the industry...Again I know money is an issue but some times you might run across a good deal...also check into the LOWE or even the Aluminum Ranger Jon boats...Very Good quality...

I personally own a sea nymph 1648 and it is ok just a little thin and bulky...25 Evenrude kinda slow due to being so bulky...

10. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    1975..get as much boat as you can. I found a G3/1756 and put a 9.9 thruster on it.The extra width is great. It took another year but I found a 50hp/tiller on craigs list..its still in my garage. The 9.9 4stroke runs on fumes.Point is spend more on your boat..stability and room..priceless.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Find a boat show in your area. Usually can get pretty good deals then.Thier all there to show off thier wares and make deals.Neighbor bought a Polorcraft with a 50hp yamaha on it water ready for around 13,000.His payments are only 120.00 a month.Pretty nice boat

12. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a new to me 1991 Lowe 1648 side console with a tunnel hull and 25hp Evinrude. Has two depth finders front & back foot controlled trolling motor. Found it on craig list for $2800.00 Look around you can find a really good little boat. It is easy on the pocket book with a 6 gal tank. I can run all weekend on one tank. I love my little boat it is just big enough for my two boys (4&7) and me. I catfish my local power plant lakes.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since you're going to be using it some on big waters, I'd say that the minimum would be something in the 1648 range. A little wider and longer would be even better, if you can find something in your price range. Something in a fiberglass hull will cost you a lot less money, but if you're going to be using it where you are liable to hit rocks or stumps, you really are better off with aluminum. Motor size depends on how many in the boat and how much gear even more than boat size. My 1648 runs great with a 15hp with 2 people in the boat, but is pretty draggy with 3. If you're going to be fishing with 3 or 4 people in the boat, a 25hp is minimum; 35hp-40hp would be better, because you wouldn't have to run it flat out all the time like you would the 25hp.

14. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks everybody for the good advice. I appreciate it!

15. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is the some good info, I actually went and looked a a 14 fr Jon boat today, just kinda scared thinking I would bne on the water in something that small on the river alone.

I might just have to stic to bank fishing....NOT:eek:oooh:

16. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is the some good info, I actually went and looked a a 14 fr Jon boat today, just kinda scared thinking I would bne on the water in something that small on the river alone.

I might just have to stic to bank fishing....NOT:eek:oooh:

I will have to get at least a 17 ft.

17. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i would also get a all welded boat that had deep sides too shallow of a boat can get you in trouble with waves from other boats or barges on big rivers. you can never have enough room i would get a 18 footer or up . a 4 stroke motor would be a bonus. but most important is having power trim for going to the bank and when in shallow water. you will prolly be like the rest of us and not get exactly what you want in your first boat so i would try to make sure your getting a good deal on it so after a year or two of fishing when you learn what you want in a boat you can sell it and then find what you really want for your personal needs.

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well earl is old school for sure he still using cane poles and garden worms with a coffee can full of grasshoppers. to tell ya how old school earl really is hes still not bought a net or a pair of leather gloves his trusty colt 45 in the head trick is how he tends to them cats and gets them in the boat. earl i got the carborater on the generator cleaned out shes running fine again lets go fishin:wink:

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I know you were not asking 'bout this but, if the budget is tight and you can pass on the small water,,,

Round these parts you can pick up( with a little bit of looking) a perfectly serviceable V or Trihull bow rider and trailer in the range of $500 to $1200. I/Os seem to go cheaper than outboards and the most only need cosmetics like upholstery or maybe a starter or some such little stuff at worst.

Just something to think about...

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The best advice I can give you is look hard and look some more
    There is a good deal out there if you look hard enough youll find it.