What kind of hooks for jugs?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by FlashGordon, May 12, 2008.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    This past weekend, I took my wife out jug fishing. (That's what she wanted for mother's day). We set our jugs and when we checked, only two small cat on 8 jugs. But, all the bait was gone and most of the leaders were all sorts of tangled with the lines. So, obviously, we'd had cat on, but they shook the hooks. We were using good sized circle hooks. Is there a better hook to use that won't result in lots of well fed cat escaping?
    Thanx

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Forget the fish, where did you find a wife that wanted to go jug fishing for Mothers Day?

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Wish I could help but I use circle hooks and I haven't lost that many fish. Might try Kahle hooks nest time. I have had good luck with them also just prefer circles.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a size 2 or 4 circle usually holds em for me, and will handle a bigger fish when it gets on.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    2 to 4 circle hooks work best for me, you got a cool wife,:big_smile: mine is like that!

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally use an 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook on all my jugs. Gamma's are a great hook, if you were using the eagle claw that might be the reason for this since their gap isn't as wide.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have varying sizes of hooks on my jugs.. I cannot decide what I like the best. I am being picky I rekon! I have some rigged with large 8/0 Gamas Circles, some with 5/0 Gama Circles, and some with 2/0 or 3/0 Eagle Claw Lazer Sharps. I just change up my bait sizes for each.. the real small shad I will put maybe one or two on the eagle claw and use the others for different sized cut gill/shad. Always try to toss out a variety of bait just to see what they are hitting on.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with alot of people on here, my self too use circle hooks there pretty good hooks and one advantage to them them usually hook there selfs, plus I have tryed other catfish hooks but ive had most of my luck on the circle.

9. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i need to find me a woman like that. i would use 4/0 or 5/0 cirlcles. sometimes fish jus get loose specialy smaller ones that dont hook them self as hard.

10. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    I agree. If your using big circle hookls, you might need to down size your hooks. Sounds like small cats are eating your bait and the hook might be too small to swallow.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I use 3/0 to 5/0 circle hooks. I have used eagle claw and gamakatsu. Have had success with both.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Circles! maybe downsize

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use circle, and J hooks, have good luck with both, just make sure they are SHARP.

14. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Downsize to 1/0 circle. Had the same problem this morning. The majority of my Noodles had 4/0 circles and a lot of empty hooks. The 10 jugs that had the 1/0 hooks on them caught fish , the 4/0 noodles caught none.

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use eagel claw oshaunesy 8/0,9/0 and 10/0 . my choice at the time depends on what i am targeting and what bait i am useing.

16. fugeman

fugeman New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I had this same problem the last time that I set out some jugs. Talked to the guy that showed me how and he said that it could be one of two things. First, my hooks were not sharp. Second, I am using to little live bait for the 6/0 hooks that I'm using. He said that a lot of times that smaller cats will actually rip the bream off the hook and not be big enough to get the whole thing in its mouth.

17. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    sounds like you may be feeding gar and turtles if you have stripped hooks. i usually pick up and move if i have alot of stripped hooks.