What kind of hooks does everyone use? - Take the Poll!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, May 16, 2006.

What kind of hooks do you use?

1. Circle hooks

2. Khale hooks

3. Treble hooks

4. Other (Please Post what kind)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Did you maybe forget J hooks, the most popular?

I use all except treble for certain circumstances.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

The jury is still out for me on circles for C&R on setlines, as I had as many hooks exit the through the eye as I did anywhere else last trip (I started a thread on this last week).

I am now in the test and take notes phase before I'll commit to circles for setline C&R.

I do not have enough R&R circle action to form an opinion yet.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Circles Are My First Choice, With Kahles Being Second. This Appears To Raise AS Much Controversy As The Discussions About What Type Of Line You Use.

It's great To Have These Discussions As There Is Much To Be Learned From Everyone's Input, After All WE Are The Research & Development Dept. For All The Products Being Made.NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY :confident: Elliot

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Kahles are the only way to fly!!!

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I was a Kahle guy until I learned to use circle hooks. Now, that's all I use. We even changed our bank lines over to circles. Fish is hooked in the lip (corner of mouth) everytime.

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mostly circle but kahle if I run out of circles.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use kahles,7/0-10/0. Really like them.

9. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I forgot to but about J hooks. Sorry guys!

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I use circles most of the time but have recently changed over to one rod with a circle hook and the other with Kahle hook. I like to hold the kahle hook rod as I enjoy feeling the tap, tap, tap and then whack... jerk that rod back and cross it's eyes. I do so enjoy that. I had trouble using circles at first and then I found that I had to set the pole down make it SOLID (put my foot on the butt end) then I caught almost every fish that bit. OK, fun to fight and bring in but not much of a dual between the fish and me. Great fun in our boat is when one of us gets a bite and you set that hook and miss, heck I might as well of brought my grandmother, on the other hand if you do set the hook and get the fish on, heck even a blind hog can find an acorn every now and then. So, for eating a circle works great, for sport and fun a kahle is hard to beat. Just my thoughts.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I use to only use J style hooks. then switched to kahle hooks realy like them a bunch. And now i"ve been hearing that the circle hooks are good but you have to let the fish load the pole up before you just start reeling in . i guess they work great but man I sure enjoy crossing there eyes so I think I"ll stick with kahles. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was never good at setting the hook always seemed to do it to early or late. I guess if you would fish tournaments you would want that oppurtunity. Once having a bite with a circle hook I have never missed one. If anyone doesn't want there circle hooks I'll have them:adore: :adore: :adore:

13. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I voted for Kahles, but I use a lot of circle hooks and live bait hooks too.

14. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ived used the old fashioned j hooks forever but i recently have been trying circles opinion isnt in yet :lol:

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: LOL I VOTED FOR CIRCLES SIMPLE BECAUSE THEREWAS NO J HOOK POST. AS FOR CIRCLES I'M STILL WAITING TO GET MY FIRST GOOD BITE WITH THEM SO CAN'T SAY YEA OR NEA ABOUT THEM. HOPEFULLY I'LL FIND OUT SOON. ONLY THING I'VE CAUGHT ANYTHING ON THIS YEAR IS WITH DK PUNCH BAIT. AND THAT HASN'T BEEN NOTHIN TO BRAG ABOUT.

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I love my circles.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I love circles they challanged me to be a better angler, and got me out of my hook setting slump. The circles seem to work best for me when the rivers up the fish feed more aggressive and dont tapp tapp verry often.

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    So basically what your saying is circles aren't always effective. I'll stick to the J's myself. When the fish are aggressive the hook is set before I touch the rod and when the fish tap tap I can pickup the rod and cross his eyes. What happens if the river is up and you got a circle on and all the bites are tap tap? J all the way. Never have to question will I hook the fish, only when will I hook the fish. Vern

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Circles require some knowledge in their use. It is not as simple as baiting up "the same as always". One of the biggest problems is that people cover the hook tip with bait, or they use too small of a hook. THE TIP MUST BE EXPOSED!! You can not bury the tip in the bait.

You can not beat a circle hook for trolling.

You can not beat a circle hook for safely hooking a fish for release.

It is hard to get people to change their ways and I can see that. Personally I am always looking for a better way of doing things. I fished Kahles to being with when I started going after big cats and I caught fish, but I tried circles and so far I have no complaints. There were some modifications to bait hooking, but that was a small compromise for the return.

Close to 400 fish have fallen prey to circles hooks for me so far this year, and only two were throat hooked. Last week I used some #4 hooks to catch a bunch of bullheads around the dock and out of 23 fish that I caught 3 were throat hooked.

20. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dieter, maybe it was more due to the size of hook that you were using for the bullheads rather than the fact that the hook was a J. I have always used J's exclusively and my gut hook ratio is comparable to your statistics. I rarely gut hook a fish and when I do it is usually a crappy little flathead around a pound and I didn't even see the rod bending while he was hitting it. Vern