What kind of hook do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by gone_fishin, Jul 25, 2006.

Which hook do you use?

1. Circle hook

2. Octopus Circle hook

3. Octopus hook

4. Kahle hook

5. J hook

6. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    What kind of hook do you prefer/use, size, and what manufacturer. I've been using 7/0 Lazer Sharp circles and I'm switching to 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. I'd like to try out a variety of hooks so I want to hear everyones thoughts on what seems to work.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Well I have been using and really like the Kahle hooks but I have been giving the Circle hooks a try as of the last month or so and have been real happy with those so now I don't know which one to vote for since I like them both!:crazy:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried some 8/0 king kahles this year, I caught 3 fish on them all three were hooked on the outside of the mouth?//I will stick with my circles.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I like my Eagle Claw Kahles I got this year 5/0 and 3/0. I have yet to catch a fish where the hook is not in the corner of the mouth.

Aaron

TA2D

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    catmax 8/0 j's always sharp always set good never missed a fish less it didnt have the whole bait in its mouth say i used 12" bait . the j's go all the way threw the mouth the best way to remove it is cut the line and feed the hook all the way threw , i tried circles several times never caught a fish on them ,tried kahles seemed to thin would pull them out the barbs didnt seem to hold for me , catmax j's bass pro work best for me

6. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I use 5/0-7/0 kahles for cats, and small j-hooks for bream.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I bought a pack of those octopus circle hooks by Gamakatsu and learnin how to properly use. great for bluegill.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I like the Eagle claw kahle.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Eagle Claw Kahle for me as well.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use 7/0 to 10/0 eagle claw Lazersharp Kahles and to me everything else is just scrap metal!!!!

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Some people don't know when they are well off.:big_smile: What would you think of a person that has been skunked all year then switches to a new hook and starts catching them outside their mouth,not in the mouth like the rest of us but catches them before they even swallow the bait.:eek:oooh: Then has the nerve to complain about it and go back to his old style hooks with which he hasn't caught anything!!!!!:roll_eyes: Go figure:smile2:To answer the original question my first criteria is SHARP,then Kahle.:big_smile: :lol:

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had to say other.

Almost every hook has it's place. I use J hooks, khales, and circles.

I am thinking that I will pretty soon be trying the octopus and circle octopus too.

13. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My favorite is 6/0 circle hooks.

But I have been experimenting with khales lately I like them alot! But circle hooks are still my favorite.

Josh

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    for price and quality I use Eagle claw kahle hooks. I keep 5/0 - 7/0 Nickle plated and 8/0 - 10/0 black kingkahles in the box. These hooks are super sharp right out of the box and the hook up ratio is excellent.

15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've used 3/0 Lazer Sharp Kahles for channels and they work pretty well. I don't like using circles hooks because I like setting the hook.

16. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use them all. My favorite is the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle though. But I do not like circles for drift fishing and will use a J or Kahle. But I have had the most luck drifting with Catmaxx J hooks. Every hook has it's place and no one hook will do it all, although the Gamakatsu is close :cool2:

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    This poll is pretty specific. I prefer octopus circles a bit more than regular circles.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Call me different but I prefer tru turn hooks, folled by eagle claw circle hooks.

19. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I been using kahle and doing real well, but before i did great with j-hooks too.

20. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I stick with the 8/O octopus gamakatsu hooks