What kind of Gar?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by johnliester, Jul 24, 2007.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I fish Waconda lake here in Ks. It's also called Glen Elder. Does anyone know what kind of gar are in this lake? I see skeletons everywhere but would like ti try to catch them, and if possible even eat them. I think it's be a hoot to hook one of these toothy critters. Thanks gang, John

2. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I've posted this elsewhere but haven't gotten response. So I'll ask it here. Does anyone know what type of gar are in Glen Elder? I've even emailed KDWP and haven't gotten a response. I'm just curious because when we're goose hunting there we fin a lot of skeletons lying on shore. I've also seen them in rocky areas while fishing. Just kind of curious. Thanks gang, John.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC! This isn't gonna be much of a response as I'm not familiar with the lake that you fish, but here I believe we have longnose gar...which have a long needle-like nose. Shortnose gar...which have a shorter, more triangular nose, and spotted gar...which have big spots on them. Alligator gar are extremely rare in Mo., and I don't know if they even exist in Kansas, so you can count them out, especially in a lake. The other three are common, and you probably have at least one species, if not all three in the lake that you fish. This link may help you identify these fish next time you see one.http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/aquaticspecies/inland.phtml

4. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I don't know what kind pf gar you have down there, But in PA we have longnose gars I have caught 2 of them, They are a really weird fish LOL

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you probably have all three types except alligator gar which are on the protected list in a lot of states. all three types of gar are pretty much everywhere.