what kind of fishing pole and line best for cat fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by jesus223, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jesus223

jesus223 New Member

State:
    texas
    i am trying to find out what best fishing pole and fishing line is best for cat fish and what kind of reel

2. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My personal choice is any med-hevy ugly stick and just about any abu-garcia with berkly big game line on them. If I am targeting big fish I use my abu-7000 with a catfish ugly stick. But if I am after just eating size fish I use my abu-5000 series with a 6-6" ugly stick.
    But this is just my personal choice.
    Good luck with finding the rod that fits you best.

3. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome to the BOC,
    The answers you are looking for are here on this web site.Gotta look in the gear review section, lots of info here.

Rubes

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya gotta go with whats in your budget and what ya are gonna target most of the time. I've said it before. Don't take a knife to a gun fite and expect to win.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The gear you need depends on what you fish for, the conditions you fish in, and your budget.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There are so many different types of rod & reels available now...It all comes down to how much are you willing to spend??:eek:oooh:

7. nuts1968

nuts1968 New Member

State:
    Texas
    All my Catfish poles are Ugly Sticks. Can't go wrong with them. Good Luck. :wink:

8. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I prefer a 7' MH graphite rod for punch bait fishing and a 7' MH Ugli Stik Catfish rod for fishing shad or cut bait. Top those off with an Abu Garcia 6000 or 6600 and load them up with 20 lb Big Game Solar Green. These two outfits should cover just about any method and size of catfish found in Texas lakes.

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    mariofish welcome jesus223 to boc

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Ugly Stiks, or other stout poles all will work. Really depends on what feels right to you, Since I an unable to understand the baitcast reel, I really like my Shimano Baitrunner 6500, Ugly Stik, and 50 lb Power Pro setup...

11. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get you an Ugly Stick Catfish rod. 7'

Then go to Walmart & get a Garcia Rocket (6500), for line capasity.

20lb Triline Big Game, I like the green color, but any color will work.

Get 4/0 Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp kale hooks.

Start fishing !

With a 2oz weight you can put it out there a long way, if you need to.

CatfishBevo

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, jesus223! You've asked one of those questions to which there just isn't any set answer; it's like asking, "What's the best vehicle for me to get?" A lot will depend on what you're planning to do with it. The rig that works great for channels & blues under 10# just won't handle the bruisers over 30#. If you get a rig that will handle the big ones, you're going to lose some of the feel and fun from the smaller ones. That being said, I really like my Quantum Big Cat rod in medium action. It's not going to turn a big cat in heavy cover, but it does a good job everywhere else. IMO, the reel you pick will depend even more on the type fishing you plan to do. The ABUs are smooth casting, comfortable reels, but IMO, the 6500 models just won't stand up to hard use, and they have limited line capacity; the 10,000 is a larger reel and might not have these problems...I've never had one in my hands. You will definitely hear some difference of opinion about that, but I've got one down right now for repairs, and it's only about 5 years old. I've got Penn reels that are older than my daughters that have never had to have a repair. Most folks will agree that the Penn reels are tanks; but most models are a little harder to cast than the ABUs. I think that the 320GTi or 320GT2 are every bit as smooth casting as the ABUs; the 310 models are a little smaller, but should cast just as well.

13. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would go with a penn ss 4400 and a 7ft mh ugly stick. Clean it after you go fishing and it will last you the rest of your life. I bought my first one a 440 model at the time 25 years ago and a 7ft mh ugly stick I still have it and still works like a charm. I have 4 of them now. The reel will cost $89.99 and the rod will cost between $29.99 and $39.99 depending on where you get it. This is the best all around combo. I use them in saltwater and freshwater.
    If you are tageting primarily big fish I like the Penn 209 & Penn #9, you can get a good used one on ebay for about $35.00. The rod is extra. Hope this helps and good luck.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I USE 7 FT 6 IN CATMAX RODS 100# POWER PRO LINE &ABU 7000 REELS GOOD STUFF