What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 12, 2009.

What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use for catfishing?

1. Khale

2. Octopus

3. Octopus Circle

4. Circle

5. Baitholder

6. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hello my brothers in Missouri! I have posted this question in several States now, and I am wondering? What style of hook do you prefer to use when catfishing? And why?

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I know a lot of people have been going to the circle hooks but I perfer the kayle. I like to try to jerk them out of the water and to me its all about the thrill of my rod bending over when i hook the big one.

3. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I like the hook set khale 7 0r 8 odd are great

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i use gamakatsu 8/0 octopus hooks for all my catfishing. super sharp hooks and they are very good bait holders too.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like the 9/0 King Kahles.:wink:

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I like the 6/0 also for channels.

7. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    I strictly use GAMA 8/0 octopus circle hooks. Kyle

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The only hook that I use is the Gama. 8.0 octopus circle hook. They do a great job for me. Try different hooks until you get what you like. That is what it is all about.

Tom

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess it just depends on what you are fishing for and where. 90% of my fishing is for blues in a river. So circles are the only hook I will use. Now if i'm after channels i might switch to J hooks. Then again I like to have the highest % of hook up I can have.

10. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    5/0 gamakatsu octopus i fish for channels the most

11. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I would like to thank all my BOC brothers in Missouri for your votes, and feedback. It's good to hear from all of you. Thank you and good fishin'

12. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i know its a little late to post on this one but i wanted to take part in this. my choice boils down to what im fishing for, in california i got turned on to the liver hooks that look like a safety pin with 2 hooks on it. i met a guy out ther that used to rig up live mudsuckers on them and he brought in some monsters. he said these hooks were great because you can get the hook set easier if the fish comes in at an angle. i am personally fond of the gama octos aswell but for some guys who like to set it and feel the dig on a big cat and know if that one gets away thier bait might actually still be there.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Gamakatsu 9 ott Octopus Hooks for me.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm a bit south of Mo but i'll throw my $7.77 worth in :smile2:.

I've been using the 8/0 double action hooks that Team catfish sells and so far I really like them when the fish are hitting hard. Another thing I like about them is you have the option of setting the hook or letting the fish hook themselves.

I use 7/0 - 10/0 kahles and king kahles when the fish are a little more finicky and most bites are not the freight train bites. You will catch a lot of these fish that circles will just not catch. But they are a great hook for any type of fishing whether using live bait, wormed on small baits or cut bait. You can also fish these hooks both ways by either setting the hook or letting the fish hook themselves. You don't have to worry about covering up the point of these hooks when you are setting the clickers and letting them run becase they will rip through the bait and still go hard into a fishes mouth when you set the hook.

Other hooks i've used and will still use include,12/0 big rivers, 10/0 owner circle hooks and 11/0 frenzy's. The only thing about the frenzy hooks is you need to sharpen them because they are pretty dull straight out of the box, but for a circle hook work well on bigger baits. Also have some 10/0 and 11/0 cicle hooks I just got in and will give them a try on bigger baits.

Also use #5 to 2/0 trebble hooks when we are using prepaired baits.

15. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the 8/0 Gamagatzu Circle hooks for cut bait, and the 7/0 - 8/0 Kahle for live bait.

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use 10/0 Laser Sharp Khales from Eagle Claw. Very good hook and not all that expensive.

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like a really sharp one. I did vote but needed a laugh.

18. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Wow, it's hard to answer, but I voted Oct circles. With that being said, Gamma 8/0 circles are my prefered river/cut bait/blue hook, I like 10/0 or 11/0 King Kahles for 4-5 inch shad(dead or alive), Gamma Big rivers for large live bait and gamma 8/0 oct long shank for smaller live bait, for channels (eaters) I use 5/0 gamma finnese hooks, they are a short shanked octopus hook(I think for walleyes). I have more hooks in my arsenal, but, If I had to choose only one, 8/0 gamma oct circle, it's real hard to get hooked up on my bait with them though:wink:

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll have to say Kahle too. I enjoy reelin down and lettin er rip. Guess i bass fished too long but when i know i'm gettin bite, i wanna make things happen. I do intend on giving circles more of a chance this coming year however.

20. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo

I guess I'm OLD SCHOOL like you John, it just dosen't seem right if ya don't reel down and CROSS THERE EYES:smile2: