What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 11, 2009.

What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use?

1. Khale

2. Circle

3. Octopus

4. Octopus circle

5. Baitholder

6. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey brothers, I'm Polling in a few different States and was wondering, what style of hook do you prefer when catfihing? And why? Thanks brothers. Good fishing!!!!!!!

2. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Team Catfish DOUBLE ACTION hooks.....The most versatile catfish hooks ever created....:cool2:

Why you ask???

You can:

Set the hook.....
    Reel down and get um.....
    Let those cats hook themselves.....

Check um out....... http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4316840/11595032

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I once got ahold of some Gamakatsu 8/0 wide gap hooks. They had them at walmart! I got two packs thinking that they might be too big....they worked great! I have been looking for them ever since.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    size 8-10 gamguguchi (spl) circle hooks. love them.
    gary

5. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    my technique is using 7/0 rock cod rig and removing 3 hooks from it using 2 hook setup chocking em full of pacific mackrel and lobbing em out freeline (no weight) i know how you love it when i use that setup.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    khale hooks for me i tryed c hooks and khale hooks last year side by side khale came out on top for me

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use circle and octopus circle. Both work pretty good. I been using size 5-6. I haven't got the big ones around here, sometimes those hooks are too big also.

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have caught fish with circle hooks but I missed setting the hook so I went back to Kahle hooks..most of the time they work somewhat like a circle hook hooking in the corner of the fishes mouth 5 out of 7 times in my experience. When that pole goes down I want to set the hook and feel the fish on the other end..I just felt like I was missing something when I picked up the pole and started reeling in the fish...:confused2:

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    For channels and such I prefer baitholders. For flats I like khales.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use Khales 85% of the time:wink:

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I fish khale's for the kitty's and freeline most of the time, except in fast moving water.

12. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I like the Khale hooks. I've had pretty good success with them so far. I think I'm going to give the circle hooks a whirl and see what happens.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Its depends on if i am fishing for channels, blues, or flatheads. When it comes to the lakes for channels and blues I am a 8/0 gama man. I like the gap and its ability to hold large bait. When i fish the river and canals for flats using gills its 10/0 kahles. It allows for the hook to hook the gills well while leaving enough space and barb to penetrate a tuff flats mouth.

14. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I use Khales most of the time. I love to use clams and they hold well right at the tip of the hook. Clams and Khales have been pretty signature for me, for channels that is.

15. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a variety of hooks, kahles, octopus circle, octopus, and sickle in a variety of sizes, from 1/0 up to 10/0 depending on conditions, where, and the method of bait presentation. Sickle hooks from Wild Wolf products are what I use most.

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Welcome to the Calif... BOC Patrick.... good to see some more CA fishermen on the site.....I use wide gap circles depending on the bait size.....Single hook, as I do a lot of catch and release....

Bayrunner Ray

17. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    I usually use the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle, but I switch it up from time to time depending on conditions, type of bait, etc... Always best to diversify your arsenal... :wink:

18. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I would like to thank all my BOC brothers in California for your votes, and your feedback it's good to hear from all of you. Good luck and good fishin'

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use Khale hooks or Octopus hooks (wide gap) most of the time that I'm doing my fishing,:0a23:
    But then again it all depends on the bait I'm using & the fish I'm going after.
    :wink:

20. Tailgunner

Tailgunner New Member

State:
    CA.
    A lot depends on what the bait is, but circle hooks are the ones I reach for most often..