What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 10, 2009.

What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use?

1. Khale

2. Circle

3. Octopus

4. Baitholder

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use? And why?

2. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    You know I like using a Gamakatsu circle hook #6,#7 they are really sharp and the hook set is really easy, once you get used to them.

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am a huge fan of circles for most applications. They don't work for every situation, but for most of the ways I fish they work perfectly.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use an octopus circle, and it was not on the list.

Bill in SC

5. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use king khales. for BIG bait and eagle claw style 84's 8/0 and smaller. Love the style 84 they are a terrific hook especially for the price. I personally have been swinging my hole life and have really had a terrable hook rate with them. I know every one else loves them just not me. They really seem to be terrable for me especially on a lite bite. I can catch those lite bites on a style 84.

6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a tarrable hook rate with the circles. Especially on a lite bite.

7. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    When I started fishing for Flatheads last year, I was very un-informed on what to use. So, I started with Kahle's by Eagle Claw, size 7 or 8 I think, lime green color, I caught the only 2 flats I have ever caught on those and they were only 12.5 and 10 pounds so their mouths were smaller. I was informed after fishing with others from this member board that some prefer Circles, and others have preferred Octopus Circles. So, I am trying anything, and everything to get the "hook"up on more flatheads.

I am open to any information anybody would like to share, I know everyone is different and have their own preferences and what works for them depending on their "style".

8. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana

I personally prefer the Gamakatsu Circle & Octopus Circle hooks in sizes 10/0 & 12/0 - Hook set is like cuttin butter w/ a hot knife. Ya dont have to yank ur arms off or the fish' mouth.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    eagle claw 84 for me 7/0+

10. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Personally I love the circle octopus hooks by gamakatsu. They are deadly sharp and you dont have to yank your arm out of socket to set the hook. I have tried many others and this one is for me!!!!!!!!!!When fish are bitting light they are hard to catch no matter what hook you are using from my experience. The cicrle octopus hooks took a different technique to get use to it (not jerking on it like a log) but know I generally catch almost all fish that are commited to the bite. I loose very few fish with this hook. Some say they are pricy for a pack but back in late fall/early winter I bought 7/0 gamakatsu circle hooks at wal mart on discount for $1.00 for a pack of 6. I bought all they had, 20 something packs i think. Look for bargains like this every year at end of season like at wal mart.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Agree 100%

Bill in SC

12. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    I like gamma circles 7/0-10/0... :wink:

and we all KNOW that WhiteRiverBigCats just LOVES octopus hooks of any brand!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i,m learning but with my small amount of catn i,ve already like the circle hooks the best of what i,ve tried yet even had local shop County Line Bait & TACKLE order them in larger packages today

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use 3/0-7/0 Lazer Sharp Eagle Claws Circles or for live threadfins I use a #2 Eagle Claw Kahle because of the light thin wire.

The reason I use them is because they are cheap, strong, and sharp. If you gotta yank your arm out of socket for a circle hook set your might doing something wrong ; )~

Bottom-line is , use what works for ya. In my case ,I don't miss fish due to hook issues so there cant be a better hook for me than what I'm already using.....so why pay more.

-Jim-

15. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I want to say thanks to all my BOC brothers in Indiana for your votes and your feedback. Good luck and good fishin'

16. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Mustad's standard hook...not sure what it's called but there strong & sharp. I also use the Eagle Claw 84. When I first started I fishing for flats I was using 4/0 & 5/0 and was missing everything! I was getting runs like crazy but could catch anything. I finally went out & bought 7/0 (which looked HUGE at first!) and started catching flatties...with a lot of help from River Scum too! (Thanks Tim!) Anymore, I don't think there are too many hooks too big for a nice sized flathead! I won't use anything smaller than 7/0.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use circles 8/0 to 12/0 and/or kahles 7/0 to 10/0 depending on how the fish are biting. been using the team catfish 8/0 double action hooks in tournaments lately with really good results. You can fish these hooks both ways by either locking down the reel and letting the fish hook themselves or setting the clickers and letting them run then setting the hook with a sweeping hook set. Just depends on the fishes mood that day and the type and size bait I'm using as to which hook I will go with.

18. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    7/0 King Kahles for live bait, when fishing for flatheads, and 6/0 Octopus Circles for fishing for channelcats as long as they are picking up the bait and moving away from me. If they are picking up the bait and coming back towards me I prefer a smaller kahle hook where I can reel up my slack and set the hook myself.

19. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    7/0 eagle claw

20. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My hook of choice would be a gamakatsu circle 6/0 or laser sharp 6/0 the lasers have that red color to em:cool2: