What kind of fishing hook do you prefer to use when catfishing?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 13, 2009.

What kind of hook do you prefer to use when catfishing?

1. Khale

2. Octopus

3. Octopus Circle

4. Circle

5. Baitholder

6. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Greetings my fellow BOC brothers in Texas. I've taken polls in various other States and have asked this question, What kind of hook do you prefer to use when catfishing, and why?

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use the octopus circle when targeting big blues. I like the octopus circle because i have a good hookup ratio with them on the big blues and can drift fish with the reels locked down instead of free spooled with the clicker on. When I went to the Ocircles my hookup ratio went up greatly and almost never gut hook a fish, so i get to release all of the big ones. I still use #4 trebles when targeting eaters though.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I mainly use circles. Gamakatsu 6/0-10/0. Always seem to hook up well.

4. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I like the Octopus Circles followed by plain circle hooks, usually in a 5-7/0 size. They work well in drifting.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Teamcatfish double action 8/0....won't let ya down!!:wink:

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use circle hooks when drifting and Teamcatfish double action when I tight line.

7. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    I prefer Kahles :wink:

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Circles. I have been using them for several years now. I thought at first they were a gimmick, like the banjo minnow. But after using these circles properly, I havent killed a fish yet and Iget more than just bites.
    Its really easy to unhook a fish with a circle. It was a little tricky getting used to not setting the hook with a circle though. That was my learning process.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    gama 8/0 or team catfish 8/0:wink:

10. dvkb

dvkb New Member

State:
    texas
    i perfer to use a small treble hook works good to catch catfish that what i use ......:roll_eyes:

11. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hello all my BOC brothers in Texas. I just want to take the time to say thanks to all of you for your votes and your feedback, it was really good to hear from all of you. Thanks and good fishin'

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I checked "OTHER"
    The reason is that I have most of the above hooks in my tackle arsenal for a diff situation. For drifting or when anchored with 6-10 rods out, I use the Team Catfish DBL ACTN Cirlce hook. If I notice alot of short strikes, I will switch to a smaller baitholder or kahle hook. If I get into a thick bunch of channel cats that keep "nipping" the bait I will go to plain EC style 42 hook. I will even use this drifting if the fish are not holding onto the bait good.
    certain situations where I am getting alot of mouthed baits without hookups make me change to a large treble hook. 1/0 or 2/0 with a chunk of cutbait threaded on. This will let me see what kind of fish is out there messin with the bait. I will use this on tourny days or prefishing if the fish really start to "softmouth" the bait. This set up works well with live bluegills too when the flats are not eating the bait but just trying to kill it.

13. catkid

catkid New Member

State:
    Lone Oak, Texas
    I fish with octopus circles for the big ones, and trebles for eaters.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i like khale's i have tryed c hooks just dont much care forem

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Not my exact formula, but I answered other also, too many different situations to use one style of hook.