What kind of fish is this?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trahviiz, May 10, 2009.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I caught this in my castnet today, not sure what it is.

Attached Files:

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Genuine sucker.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    i'd say a freshwater sucker, not 100 percent sure though. Looks like good bait however:tounge_out:

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How big do those suckers get?

5. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking sucker. I caught a rather large one last year on corn. Thanks for the info guys.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    They are good flathead bait.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
  8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Looks like bait to me. Put it on the hook and hang on tight to your rod. LOL

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Looks perfect, thanks for the link. He'll be bait soon. :smile2:

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    He would make better cut bait.. suckers and carp always make for good cut bait

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Travis, I cant' get a good look at its dorsal fin (fin on its back). From what I see the fin is only about 2" long. Is the fin tall in front & then short in the rear & running quite a ways down its back? If it probably is a river carpsucker...or a quillback (with these, first ray of dorsal fin is long...photo doesn't show that but they do break off sometimes) but I think bownero is right. Then again, I'm no sucker expert!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx%3Fid%3D4484%26maxWidth%3D250%26maxHeight%3D175&imgrefurl=http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_AFCJC01010.aspx&usg=__jfM_As212c06IEbvpgPkbFd1uTg=&h=135&w=250&sz=8&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=EW3N8f07zzTvkM:&tbnh=60&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Driver%2Bcarpsucker%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    From what I know, the River Carpsucker is a very proficiently found species of sucker found in the Midwest region of the states of America. Found in many streams and rivers. Yes!! They do get big!! Prime bait for Flatheads or big cats in general!!

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Originally I was gonna say it was a little smallmouth buffalo (i've caught a couple out of the river the last few years), but now I'll have to agree with everybody else and say sucker.

14. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah i was gonna say chub but i see it is a sucker lol

15. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Yeah the fin is quite long in the front. It's a neat looking critter. Thanks again to everyone for the info.

16. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    I was thinkin a baby mirror carp. Hell I dunno, just use it fer bait:smile2:

17. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Looks like a freshwater drum. We were wondering about them a few yrs ago when the showed up here. I bassfisherman caught 1 21lbs. This year they seem to be more abundant and I've caught a few in the 5lb range fishing for bait. I will tell you this, throw a 12" on a hook, those flatheads luvem.

18. Jetdoc

Jetdoc New Member

State:
    Mooresville Indiana
    Looks like a Quillback to me but I would call it bait. I have caught afew of them that went around the #3 range on the river in downtown Indianapolis. They seem to be very delicate as everyone of them I have caught and seen others catch seem to go bellyup and float down the river 5 minutes after releasing them.

19. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i think you caught a small sheep head

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    looks like a sucker. but in any even, it has scales, so it's definitely bait!