What kind of fish do u think this was?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by waitin on whiskers, Sep 18, 2006.

1. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I was fishing in a local river (tidal river about 15 miles from bay) using live mullet because thats what seems to be in abundance at this river. Tide was up a little. Was fishing with a Penn 320 GTI with 30lb berkly big game line. Bait was prolly three to four inches (live). Clicker went off peeling line off of reel amazingly fast, picked up rod, allowed fish to run just a sec, then set hook. Felt the hook set good but could not turn fish and he immediatly snapped line. We've caught some big gar here about five foot but my ex. with them is they usually slowly take out the line. Just curious as to what u guys might think?

2. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Sorry, weve also caught big drum here (red and black) but nothing big enough to snap line like that. Line was also only used one other time and i checked to make sure there were no abbrasions or snags or anyhing of that matter. I lost the whole rig as well.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im not real familar with your situation exactly but could it have been a shark? I know they say Bullsharks have been caught in parts of the mississippi, many many miles up into fresh water. I am not familar with the term "tidal rivers" im assuming this is a river that has access to salt water?

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    sounds like a minnow

5. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Probably a very p.oed fish. ha ha:cool2:

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shannon, my knowledge on tidal rivers is limited, but I do know that many saltwater species will go up the rivers quite a ways when the tide is up. It could have been any number of the more aggressive fresh or saltwater species. But with the power you are talking about my guess would be a large redfish. Vern

7. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WHere where ya at? if in Texas ..Sabine or Trinity? I know that on both of those rivers big sharks come inshore alot, heck a few years ago a bull shark was caught in livingston in the Trinity near the damm. Also huge drum, both Red and Black fight like that.