What kind of fish are these?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Spongiform, May 25, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been down to the potomac fishing 4 times this year so far. Every time I end up catching a couple of these things.

Are these young flatheads? I read something recently about some snakehead species that look like catfish but are smaller?

In one spot I caught like 10 of these in a row. I'm pretty sure I caught some of the same ones two or three times though!

If these are not 'real' catfish - should or can I use the little buggers for bait or what?

Here's the pics ->

Fish 1

Fish 2

~
    Brian

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those are Bullheads, some of the best live bait you can get for flatheads. Use them you might be surprized!!!

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Those are called flathead bait!

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bleeding bullies
    Good bait there mate!

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well that's good to know!

How would you recommend I hook the little uglies?

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hook them behind the dorsal fin.

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dont stick your finger in thier mouth. They dont call them bull heads for nothin they bite haaard. :crazy:

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    yellow bullheads, great bait!

9. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    Me and Flathead_ky have been trying to catch some all year and can't seem to catch a break (or fish) at all

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cut their horns off and use em as bait. Great Flathead bait for sure.

Bullheads, and they can chomp down, trust me!!!

11. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    wow wow wow wow! im not saying anything mean but those are what WE call "bullheads" they are a lower class catfish and dont get any bigger than a few pounds. i think they are delicious to eat and GREAT bait for good ole flatheads. now i can tell that you dont fish for bullheads!:lol:

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many of us in the south east consider them the best eating of all the catfish.I consider them."Highly prized table fare".They are one of the worst for fining and biting.Grab them from the belly side,with your first two fingers behind their fins and your thumb in their bottom lip.Squeeze.It will pull their mouth open,and you can remove the hook.I love to fish for them with a 8 ft.,5-6 lb.fly rod with a ultra lite spinning,or trigger spin reel.Any ultra lite is fun.I agree.They have class.It may be the lowest kind,but it is class.Now I can tell you.I love to fish for bullheads on the right tackle.They are great bait for humans too.Thousands of people feed on them every chance they get.I strongly suspect that they were served at the "Last Supper".If they wern:t,they should have been.It will sure be nice if St.Peter has a plater full to greet me when I get to the "Pearly Gates".Yes Lord,that is a hint.peewee-williams

13. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    No mistake about it, those are the Bullies, GREAT BAIT !!! Don't hesitate, use them brother.

14. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Those are like what everybody has already said...bullheads. I think they are fun to catch, they put up a good fight on hard tackle and they are mean little suckers and bite hard so it makes getting your hook back a challenge. They have very sharp spines too, like needles pretty much. I've heard they make great flathead bait, but I have yet to try them. They are good eating though I'll tell you that, everybody that's said that so far has got the right idea. Their flesh is a yellowish color and it's very flakey.

15. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    bullheads, good eating and bait. also good for stealing your bait.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Bullheads, yes very tasty, and always a good bait.

17. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yea we call them mud cat or yellow bellies around this part but ya there bull heads good bait for flats like everyone else said.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeppers they are bullheads and very good flathead bait.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yep, yellow bullheads also known as yellow bellies

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    yup, bullhead alright. I can't reccomend them myself for bait, since there is no flathead catfish in my area (N.E. PA.) however they are great eating too! :)