Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a new reel and a new rod for this season and i have no idea what to get or what kind of line to use i plan to fish the mon with cut bait and plan to catch monsters let me know whats stuffs good thanks

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
ARE YOU FISHING OUT OF A BOAT ARE YOU FISHING FROM THE BANK :smile2:

FOR THE REEL I WOULD GET AN ABU 6500c3 OR THE ABU 7000c3WITH 65lb POWER PRO BRAD IF YOU ARE FISHING OUT A BOAT I WOULD GET THE 7' TIGER UGLY STIK MH AND MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONE WITH STAINLESS STEEL EYES AS FOR A BANK ROD I CAN NOT HELP YOUI ON THAT ONE:smile2:

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Check out the rods from our sponsors. They are all nice rods, it all depends on how flashy you want to be.:smile2:Reels depend on whether you prefer baitcasting or spinning.You want something that will hold a fair amont of line and has a good reputation. A big fish can wear a bad reel out in no time. Pick your rod according to its action and weight capacity. Id recommend gettin at least two different actions, like one heavy and one medium heavy. Those will handle most situations.A good rod usually will have stainless steel guides. I perfer these.The ceramic inserts will fall out of a cheap rod.As far as line its usually a toss up and depends on where you are fishin. IMO thirty pound mono is just about perfect. You have the stength you need, its still fairly small enough in diameter so you can hold alot on your reel, and you can break it if you get snagged. As long as there are no defects in the line 30 pd. test line will handle most any fish.

·
Registered
442 Posts
well im runnin ugly stick tiger rods M/H 65 lb braid with a mono leader on a okuma baitfeeder reel.. def need the mono leader for fishing the Mon.. cause them rocks will cut Braid line like a knife through butter

·
Registered
157 Posts
7ft med. heavy stiff muskie rod with an abu garcia level winder spooled with 65lb stren super braid and a 100lb mono leader and a 10/0 gamagatsu big river bait hook."sickest rig on the river"if your fishin for records you gotta have the right stuff or you might just fall victom to one of those "one that got away stories"....good luck to all and throw big bait.:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.