what kind of equipment for catfish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigrob2530, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    I wanted to get a new reel and a new rod for this season and i have no idea what to get or what kind of line to use i plan to fish the mon with cut bait and plan to catch monsters let me know whats stuffs good thanks

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Whats your budget sayin? LOL!

3. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    ill spend the cash i dont want cheap stuff

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ARE YOU FISHING OUT OF A BOAT ARE YOU FISHING FROM THE BANK :smile2:

FOR THE REEL I WOULD GET AN ABU 6500c3 OR THE ABU 7000c3WITH 65lb POWER PRO BRAD IF YOU ARE FISHING OUT A BOAT I WOULD GET THE 7' TIGER UGLY STIK MH AND MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONE WITH STAINLESS STEEL EYES AS FOR A BANK ROD I CAN NOT HELP YOUI ON THAT ONE:smile2:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Check out the rods from our sponsors. They are all nice rods, it all depends on how flashy you want to be.:smile2:Reels depend on whether you prefer baitcasting or spinning.You want something that will hold a fair amont of line and has a good reputation. A big fish can wear a bad reel out in no time. Pick your rod according to its action and weight capacity. Id recommend gettin at least two different actions, like one heavy and one medium heavy. Those will handle most situations.A good rod usually will have stainless steel guides. I perfer these.The ceramic inserts will fall out of a cheap rod.As far as line its usually a toss up and depends on where you are fishin. IMO thirty pound mono is just about perfect. You have the stength you need, its still fairly small enough in diameter so you can hold alot on your reel, and you can break it if you get snagged. As long as there are no defects in the line 30 pd. test line will handle most any fish.

6. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    well im runnin ugly stick tiger rods M/H 65 lb braid with a mono leader on a okuma baitfeeder reel.. def need the mono leader for fishing the Mon.. cause them rocks will cut Braid line like a knife through butter

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What kind of catfishing you doing channels or flatheads. Do you want spinning or casting?

8. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    i want a spinning reel for sure

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have a new combo that I probably will not use. A 10' Quantum Big Cat & Bass Pro CM80 Spinning reel.
    PM me maybe we can work something out. :wink:

Attached Files:

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If you want a spinning reel, check out the Shimano Baitrunner. I have a 6500 I use for saltwater. You should be good with a 4500 for freshwater.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey if your wanting a good rod for a pretty reasonable price, at wal mart they have some glow sticks, that lights up, and bait clicker goes off when you have a bite, there 39.99 for a rod but there good rods.

12. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Look for any 7 to 7 1/2ft. med. heavy rod, and look for reels that can hold large amounts of line.:eek:oooh:

13. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    7ft med. heavy stiff muskie rod with an abu garcia level winder spooled with 65lb stren super braid and a 100lb mono leader and a 10/0 gamagatsu big river bait hook."sickest rig on the river"if your fishin for records you gotta have the right stuff or you might just fall victom to one of those "one that got away stories"....good luck to all and throw big bait.:wink: