What Kind of Detector

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Wolfdog, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What kinds of Detectors are you using. There are a whole bunch out there and I think they all will find things.

2. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Mike,
    I have a whites 6000 PRO. When looking for a detector you want stay away from the high top dollar detectors, but on the other hand you don't want to get a Wall-mart model ether. My detector cost me around five hundred dollars, and it.s a long way from being top of the line. But as you can see in pictures on my last post. it has paid for it self many times over. I have found a small treasure in Tokins, Coins, rings and things. But I have used mine, it didn't set in a closet collectiing dust. I have been detecting as far away as Banger Main, and just about every state in between California and Main. When you get ready to by a detector, go on line to kelley-Co. detectors. They sell every brand on the market and at discount prices. and they have a factory warnty on every detector. let me warn you though, don't believe the whites sales adds you see on tv. it doesn't happen that way. it's like anything else you have to work at it to be sucessfull. But it's a great Family hobbie and good exersize.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a White Spectrum XLT. It does a great job. I Agree with you on Kellys, a good place to buy from. Do to sickness I have not used mine much the last two years. Great sport and can be very rewarding.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Yes I know what you mean Mick, mine has been kind of Idle the last year also. But that is going to change, I hope.

5. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replys. I have a Bounty Hunter 202 and hit the tot lots a lot and have picked up a lot of clad and silver coins, rings ,necklaces and a lot of bells ,matchbox cars and a lot of tabs. It is a fun sport .

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Primary Coin Shooter is a Garrett GTI 2500, then for nugget shooting I have Garrett Scorpion.

I love those Garrett's! :smile2:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've gotta get one soon, I have some prime spots to search....

8. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    hello ive used many of the whites line detectors and had great success if your going to buy a detector first thing to consider is price u can get wally specail bounty hunter thats 99-199 but u get what u pay for as a rule of thumb if u want a fairly inexpensive detector with alot of the new fetures like pinpointin and good depth autoground balance and many more fetures check out the garrets ace 250 it will run u around 200-225 but its a good machine over looked bye alot of people i use it as a back up detector to my whites xlt witch ran me 950 new another neccesity is a good quality head phones there well worth there price to detect those faint signals and filter out background noise kids, trains, cars ect its a great hobby :wink:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Like I've said in other posts, I've got two Minelabs. A Sovereign GT with a WOT 15" coil, to cover the beaches, and an Excalibur 1000 for the water.

10. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes you do, There all good ,you just have to learn what they are telling you. The more you learn your machine the more you will find.

11. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its a little pricy but i use a whites DFX and love it