What kind of deal did I get?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KansasKatter, Sep 25, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was the winning bidder on a boat from EBAY this weekend, thinking there was no way in heck I would win, I bid $1575, and was high bidder.

The boat is an '86 Lowe 16wide, with trailer. It has a 25hp evinrude, also an '86. Two new batteries, battery box with power indicator, trolling motor, 5 life vests, river anchor, fire extinguisher, 6 gallon fuel tank, and some other misc. stuff. It is pretty much what I have been looking for, something for smaller rivers and lakes, that I can take myself, my brother, and two kids out on and feel safe.

What kind of deal did I get? This is my first boat, so I am not sure if I am getting a decent deal or not. I know a new setup like this would run me $3k or so. I have seen other used on EBAY comparible to this one for around 2500 and higher. Here is a pic of the boat.

Attached Files:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    From the picture, you didn't get much of a trailer. That thing needs some work.

But if the motor runs well and if the boat doesn't leak, you haven't lost too much money. All the accessories you listed have essentially no value a bare boat with just the motor and a fuel tank would sell for about the same price.

Personally, I wouldn't advise buying a boat without a good hands-on inspection including taking it out on the water. And I don't think I'd buy one on eBay unless it was local and I could do an inspection before bidding.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, we got a used boat and motor, and the motor and trailer basically fell apart on us, after about $2000 worth of repair total we finally have a good rig. But we could have got a much better boat for the same price that this one ended up costing us.:sad2:

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Great, I probably got screwed! :sad2: I talked to the guy on the phone though, and he assured me the boat did not leak, and the motor ran perfect. He said the trailer looks a little rough, but pulls perfect, and has all new wiring. He said the fact the boat was sitting on the trailer crooked made it look worse than it really is, he did not have it strapped on the trailer and the wind blew it off a little. There were more pics on the website of course, and everything looked extremely clean and well taken care of.

5. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Without looking at the boat (or seeing a lot better pictures) I certainly would hesitate to say you got screwed. When do you pick it up? Did the previous owner (seller) agree to a test before full payment is made? As stated earlier, if the motor runs well and the boat does not leak too bad I think you did alright.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Have you picked it up yet? I wouldn't worry myself over it, it's probably a good boat. Crank it at home with water ears on it before you venture out onto the water. I think it looks ok if that's the kind of boat your wanting. I hope you enjoy it safely for a long time. And if it turns out to not be what you want, just sell it. Good luck.

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Let us know how it works out. I've been watching boats on ebay this weekend and that was on of the ones I saw. If everything is as good as it was listed then I think you got a good deal.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya swung the bat Jeff. However like in the other posts it is far better to get up close and personal with a boat before ya buy it. Look at it this way. The jury is still out on this one. I wish ya nothin but the best with it.

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    if the motor runs good the motor is worth that i would have taken it out first just to see

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If everything is in working order you did GOOD! Boat trailers are $$$ in IN. and with the motor running good plus the extras you got I would say LETS FISH!
    Bill

11. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    better check it out further, because that motor looks like a MERCURY to me !

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    my boat is a 16' river jon with 40 hp mariner both '83 models i gave $1500 sight unseen from a member of the boc and have had no complaints with it . dont let others on here decide for you as to wether or not you got the shaft go look at the boat if you like it stick with it iv been offered 2 grand for mine and i still have it and use it every chance i get . good luck

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it Floats and runs good and you are happy then I am happy.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I imagine you may have only put a deposit on it. If you did then go test the motor. I don't know what this guys expect for $1500.00. I paid $3500 for my 87 Landau with a 40hp Jet and rickety ol trailer out of St. Louis.
    I have bought a Bass boat with a 225johnson, a $40,000.00 Motor Home, many many cars trucks and vans. Look at their feedback. If it is over 100 feedback over 97%, you most likely have an honest seller. You can also read their feedback to see what negatives if anyone either buyer or seller has to say. It depends on your tolerance for risk. Heck I've had guys mull over a $5000.00 car purchase for 2-3 weeks! It looks like a heck of a good deal if, the motor runs well, if it has good compression, it doesn't matter if the trailer needs some 2x4's and carpet, or if some rivets leak. Show me a riveted Jon that doesn't leak and I'll show you a guy that's had it forever or paid more than $1500.00 for it.

Just my lil ol humble opinion :lol:

15. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    OK

E-mail the guy and let him know the deal depends on how accurate the description and condition of the boat is and was as represented on the auction.

One thing is to ask yourself why 3k worth of boat, trailer, and engine is selling so cheap. Around my neck of the woods a 25 horse outboard sells for more than that if it is running well.

When you go to pick the boat up jack up the trailer and check the wheels on the axle to make sure the bearings are not worn out. Accepting the wiring is new and all the lights work from the picture you need all new bunks. Figure a couple of hundred bucks if you do the work yourself.

Second the motor in the picture is a Mercury not an Evinrude?? Used engines can be real problems or great deals. Personally I would never buy a used engine that was not checked out by a qualified mechanic. The best bet would be to make arrangements to take the entire setup to the local boat dealer and have them go over the engine. It would cost you under $100.00 to make reasonably sure you are not buying a pack of trouble. If you know an experienced boat mechanic talk him into going with you and checking it over. At least take a hose fitting with you and make sure it runs, shifts ect.

You can check the boat for leaks by using the seller's water hose. Put the drain plug in and run four or five gallons in the boat. Look under and check for leaks

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Evinrude was my mistake, it is a Mercury, I had a brain fart. I talked to the guy and he waived the deposit, told me I could just bring the money with me and decide when I get there. He will have a barrel of water, and run the motor as well. He sounded like a pretty reasonable guy, and I feel a little better after talking to him. I will keep you all posted.

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jeff,
    sounds like You got a pretty good deal, If everything is as advertised. New batterys, life jackets, etc do have value seeings how you wont have to buy them to get on the water. I'd figure You could handle any repairs need to the trailer yourself, seeings how your a construction super.

$1575 is a drop in the bucket, I'm sure You can spend at least that much just getting it the way You want it. As the saying goes "a boat is just a hole in the water You pour money into." I know mine sure has been.

18. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    If you are picking it up, I would advise you to be sure the drain plug is in and fill the boat at least half full, then see if any leaks out. Also, hook the hose to the motor and see how it cranks and runs. jmho

19. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff,
    At $1575 you didn't get hurt too bad. Keep it and use it for a year or two
    then decide. You may want to sell it and get something bigger then.

20. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I think you did OK. I have bought a few boats and vehicles from on line auctions with good results. A deposit is reasonable but it is great the seller has agreed to accept payment after you check out the boat.

If it turns out to be as described then I think you will get your money's worth out it. Best wishes for landing big cats in your new boat!