What kind of channel catfish is this

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by flathead81, May 28, 2006.

1. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi everyone im new here and need some help im a flatheader thats what we target I fish the little wabash river in southern illinois. my question is weve been catching a fish that resembles a channel but its darker colored like a blue and its got really puffy lips. and old man told us they were male channel they get that way during the spawn but we caught about 10 today and they were full of eggs so I was hoping someone on here might no what were catching. they look alot like a blue crossbread with a channel. well thanks everyone

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the BOC. Sorry I can't help you with that question but I am sure you will get plenty of answers real soon.

4. catfishman2821

catfishman2821 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If your channel is anything like here in florida. We have a bluechannle here in florida. So you might be catching bluechannles.

5. catfishman2821

catfishman2821 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you would like to chat about the channle cat come to chatroom.:big_smile:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It may be a white cat. Is there a lack of a vee in the tail? When male channels are gettin ready to do the nasty their heads swell up like ya would'nt believe.

7. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Fromwhat you said prob a cross-bred cat or a spawning swollen head-and maybe both.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't know they are either, but I've caught tons that fit that description. They are darker colored with real big mouths, puffy lips, and a purplish color on their mouths. I've caught them out of St.Mary's Lake in Ohio and the Fox River in Illinois. Somebody told me the same thing you've heard, that they are spawning male catfish. But the best idea I can come up with are that it's something genetic. It might be a recesive gene or something that only becomes apparent when that catfish with the recesive gene spawns with another one with the same gene and then it just becomes a part of that population of catfish's genetic makeup. But who knows.

9. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    That's probably channel cat in spawn, the change color, get all banged up, get knots on their heads etc etc etc. Sometimes they are almost black.

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Boy, if that don't sound like home, I'll put in with ya...:lol:

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Channel cat is the correct name. Right now the channels should be spawning in the wabash river and the blues are getting ready. Blues will be hard to catch during this time. Channels, especialy the males are disfigured sometimes, even unrecognizable at this time.
    What you are catching is channels not a mixed breed.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya ain't listenin to what I'm tryin to say. IS THERE A VEE IN THE TAIL? LOL!

13. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the replys but if they are male channel then are males are wierd they carry eggs same as the females thats kinda wierd. as i stated before we caught around 10 of them and they were all full of eggs so if theyre male channel there some wierd ones

14. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've caught 'em that way and I think it just has to do with them spawning. But who knows, I could be completely wrong.

-Red