What kind of cats do i have?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattracker16, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Hello fellow catfishers i have a delima i am trying to figure out what kind of cats i have in my fish tank. bad part is they won't stay still long enough for me to snap a good pic of them. there tail is flat on the end not v'd like a channel. i think they are flats but i'm not sure take a look at pic

Attached Files:

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    based on color and basic body shape... they look like either black or yellow bullheads... you can tell for sure by looking at the roof of their mouth... if the ends of the tooth plate extend back into the mouth (forming sort of a u shape) then its a flat head, if it doesn't its a bullhead...

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i cant say either bro. but if you caught it your self i'd say bullhead. if you bougtht it then who knows. :confused:

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    to me it looks like some type of bullhead, if i was to say anything i would say yellow bullhead.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    can't say from the pis but it could be a yellow channel . Can you count the anal fins rays that would help.

6. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Hey Cattracker,
    You live near me (Buffalo, IA). Given the location and your picture I would agree with photocat that it is a type of bullhead (Brown, Black, or Yellow).
    I have a hybrid bluegill/greensunfish in one of my tanks right now. I also worked a few summers at Fairport Fish Hatchery and River Research Monitoring Station and had a baby muskie and walleye that we raised at the hatchery, but they went belly up for some odd reason - I think the stress got to the muskie. I also had several stonerollers, johnny darters, shiners, minnows from a senior thesis project (on Devils Creek) I did last semester at school, but they died while I was on vacation. I had to put them in a larger tank while I was gone, and it was either with the hybrid sunfish or my African Clawed Frogs. My frogs were pretty fat when I got home.
    Only about 10 catfish species live in Iowa. Where did you catch ‘em? Farmpond, Mississippi, Lake, Creek? If you bought it at a pet store it could be anything from any country. However, this site gives some descriptive detail (try counting barbels or fin rays) and look up bullheads first. (I don’t think it is anything but a type of bullhead.)

http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/iafish/catfishf.html

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    It looks vary much like the bullhead I have in my tank.

8. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    P.S. I like the Iowa DNR site, but for the fin ray counts and more information click on the "Iowa Fish and Fishing" link shown under each species information and picture.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Thanks guys i'll look into them being bullhead.. if they are they going to be bait.. them and the darn goldfish.. :cursing: got the fishes at the bait store when i picked up some minnows.. scotty bait in muscatine

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a channel cat!

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    100% channel cat

12. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
  13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I would say definitely a channel. But....if the tail is as described, I would lean towards a yellow bullhead.

14. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Bullhead
    Black Bullhead
    Ameiurus melas

The brown bullhead and yellow have different colorizations from pictures that I have seen.

Do I win????? :rolleyes:

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    100% Bullhead, I don't know what kind though, Vern

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
  17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    It's a bullhead,from the pic. I'd say it's a brown bullhead.

18. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I'm gonna say definate Flathead bait! looks like a bullhead too me... :eek:

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Doesn't look like a flathead, because the lower jaw doesn't stick out past the upper lip. Count the rays in the anal fin.

20. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    thats a bullhead.