What kind of cats are most common in lakes?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatfishWave, Mar 10, 2006.

1. CatfishWave

CatfishWave New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    as my title says, what kind would be more common in a lake, a flatty or a blue?

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I'd have to say channel cat in most lakes and then blues.

3. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    I found it all depends on the region the lakes are located in. It mostly depends on what kind of habitat favors the species. Reservoirs and other types of impoundments can offer a balance of species... depending on what feeds that body of water. Channels can be the dominant species of cats on a lot of lakes. There are a lot of lakes here in Indiana that just have a strong population of bull heads and smaller cats, with no population of any other type of catfish. Out of over 500 lakes of various sizes within a 40 mile radius of where I live, less than 10% have anything but bullheads, and some of them only have so-so channel populations from past stockings. There are some areas of the country that know nothing of this ratio of channel/blue/flats to bull heads. Infact, quite the opposite is true. But much does depend on habitat and what feeds the lake. Wishing you the best fishing season ever.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio the most common cat in lakes is channel cats, the odnr stocks them.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    around here its definitely flats. blues are only in the larger lakes. flatheads are pretty much everywhere.

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Around here I find mostly Channels and Blues. This year is the year of the Flathead for me.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I haven't of any lake - anywhere - that have Catfish in it, not to have Channel Cats.
    (Think about it :rolleyes: )

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    In Texas, well the lakes I fish anyway, it's Channels then Blues.... We got some flats too but I really don't try for'em much.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Around here there's a great varity, but i would have to say Channels.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    In our area it's channels #one, Flatties # 2, Not sure if we even have any blues, and finally in rural areas near bridges we have a lot of housecats wrapped in burlap with block necklaces.

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    channel cats around here and then i guess Flatheads in barren river lake. don't see many blues.

12. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    around here it's almost all channels in the non-oxbow type lakes, with exception to a few impoundments that the IDNR has stocked with flatties to control the bullhead population. In the oxbows there's some flatties, but mostly channels. Only hear about blues in the Missouri around my parts.

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Here in KS it goes Bullheads, Channels, and then Flatheads. Blues are only in a few of the larger reservoirs that I know of, and the Kaw (Kansas River). Bullheads scatter lakes everywhere, channels are most places, and flats (although not necessarily huge) are a lot of places too. Even a couple of the smaller impoundments have big flatheads in them though. I can hardly SEE a blue much less catch one around here ;)

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here in Illinois the most common lake catfish is probably channel and then blue. Not very often flaties.

15. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I would have to say here in middle TN probably the most common are channels.

16. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Well, where I am from Channel Cats rule these waters.

17. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Its a toss up here in Southern Illinois, between yellow bellies and channel.