What Kind of Catfish is this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lookinfurabiggun, Jun 7, 2009.

1. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thid beautiful looking catfish was actually caught out of Carlinville Lake Illinois. I dont know what kind it is, but looks like a mix between a flathead, and channel. Please help..

Attached Files:

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Wow man, I never seen one like that! That lake a cooling supply for a nuclear plant or something? I sure hope you washed your hands after that.:confused2:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks like a crackhead horny spawnin channel. Made it pretty far along in life. He's a good size. The chicks must dig it. :crazy:

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Looks like a flathead kind of with a pigmentation problem. call that the Michael Jackson fish.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I dont know but thats one interesting cat :eek:oooh: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    I got one with similar spots last weeks. Nobody seems to know what they are.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its a channel cat that is infested with a parasites.His lips are all swollen from spawning it looks to me..Believe it or not there safe to eat like that as long as you cook them.

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Definately not a flathead, upper lip is over bottom lip, agree a spawning channel but not sure about the colors or why. Chris

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Man, That's one ugly fish,I agree a Channelcat.
    I think I'da cut my line,,,:eek:oooh:

10. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    ah man that takes the fun out of it!!!!! SUSHIIIIII!!!!! night of the swimming dead!! thats a pretty roughh looking fish!! he been rode hard and certainly put up WET!! :smile2: nice catch man

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree with most,,The swollen head and mouth looks like a spawning male channel.. Looks like somebody marblized him:smile2::wink:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That,s the kind of stuff that would make you give up cattin if that was the first one somebody ever caught!:crazy:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    aint sure what kind it is but thanks for posting it.thats a weird dude.

14. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Definately a spawning male channel. I have caught a lot with the swollen lips, and a few with a little bit of mottled skin, but this old feller looks like something out of the far reaches of The Amazon! Thanks for sharing!

15. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Looks like he swam head first into an ugly stump.:confused2: I will say this it is a conversation maker.

John

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That fish posted in the pics resembles the coloration of the Spotted Bullhead found in Alabama. Not sure it could be a hybrid with a Channel Cat. Really weird!! Not sure about the parasite problem either.

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    To me it looks like myxobacterios(sp?). Which is a bacterial infection that fish can get. It causes black spots and deformed and swollen body and head. Or it could be some other fungal or bacterial infection. I do know I wouldn't eat it if I was you.

18. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Weird looking for sure. My vote is for a male channel.

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Myxobacteriosis[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
    Symptoms:
    Symptoms may include black patches on the body and fins. The body may become bloated or swollen in some areas.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Treatment: As far as I know, there is only one medication designed specifically for myxobacteriosis--Phenocide by Aquatronics.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Information: This infection is rather uncommon but fairly easy to treat. Its probability is intensified by overcrowding and poor water quality with high levels of ammonia and / or nitrites.[/FONT]

Tricia/ aka Littleman..
    I think you're on the right track. Good possibility of it!!

20. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Weird looking but definitely channel, awesome catch! congrats!