What kind of catfish is this? (Jordan Lake)

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by dunno, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    I went fishing last weekend at jordan and caught 3 decent size catfish. 1 white cat and 2 that im not sure as to what they are. The 2 im clueless about dont match any of the catfish identifaction charts.

They have a large flat head with a small body. I attached some pics for yall to help me out.

Attached Files:

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Look like blues to me.

3. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    looks like blues here also

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I think they are blues also.

5. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    well i thought they were blues also, but the anal fin is a small circle shape, not flat. I thought they were straight?

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

i agree with the others blues

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well that one looks like he could use another eye right in the middle of his head.:eek:oooh:

8. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
  9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the one in the middle would a channel the other apear to be blues that have spawned out been under a rock a week or so aint ate did they bite fast and furious i bet they did ,if they hadnt starved there selves would have been better lookin cats ,still nice catch there

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    that dont look like no blue i ever seen in n.c. i always call them white cats but you said you caught one of them. the ones you caught look larger than most i see get caught. i really dont think them they are blues and if they where they look really poor. i going with large white cats.

11. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    Well I know for sure the one in middle is a white im about 100% sure of that.

However the other 2 dont seem to be blues as I have stated unless they can have a more than one fin type, which I dont think is possible since I thought that was one of the ways of identifying them. So mainly what I am asking is for everyone to look at the anal fin and tell me if the blues they catch match that pattern.

Yea I caught one the weekend before that was 8 pounds.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dunno the one in the middle of the first picture is a channel for sure. he may not have spot s but that because it is a mature channel as the mature channels do not have them.

13. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thye look like we call a white cat. look that up and see other wise i might say an arkansas blue(sorry about spelling). other wise i say a flattie had a drunk night with a blue and got this shovel head mixed up thing.

14. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    alright yea, the more I look at it i suppose it is a channel. But im not sure, I have seen pics of white pulled out of jordan that look similiar to that one.

15. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    were you fishing off of the peir at jordan lake??? i am always catching them up there... i thought they were blues at first, cause of the heads, then i looked at the anal fin and thought they were whites... i've gotten some blues up there that i know were blues, but they were young and small... so i am in the same boat... here are 3 that we brought home a couple of weekends ago... http://curseyournameracing.com/fishing/27may06/HPIM1960.JPG ... yes yes.... i know.... i need to get a livewell... i normally keep them on a stringer over the side of the peir... but a friend had brought the cooler, and it was just easier to put them in there... lol... i know have an airator that we will use next time with a cooler... and just for size compairison... the crappie was 10 inches dead perfect

16. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    yea I caught them there. I saw your post awhile back of the fish you caught out there.

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    white ,channel,white final answer. now pay me...lol.

18. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    not yet, the 2 dont have forked tails. lol

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you kept and cleaned them right ,was there eggs , i still say they look lik spawned out blues but then its been along time since i have seen a white

20. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cross breed. count the rays in the anal fin. blue 30-35, channel 24-29.
    strange but it happens, I have caught them here in Indiana, Bighead not much meat for there size.