What kind of catfish are these?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Spongiform, May 9, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
  2. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    looks like a cannel cat to me:eek:oooh:

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice cats. If they have spots they are channels if not they are small blues probably.
    cat:0a23: ch ya later

4. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info. I remember having great times as a kid fishing with the folks. I think I'll make it a regular activity - especially with the potomac within walking distance now!

~
    Brian

5. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
  6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Channel cat. That has enough age to not have spots.
    Pete

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As the others have said, those are channel cats. Nice ones too! :big_smile:

8. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    Spongiform, where did you catch these fish in Sterling on the Potomac? I live in Ashburn and I've been looking for a place to catch nice catfish in the area?

9. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was camping on the island in the middle of the river about 2 miles upstream from the Algonkian boat ramp.

I've had alot of trouble finding a good spot to catfish thats convenient to access without a boat.

Recently I found a small park with a 1.3 mile Trail in Countryside that goes right down to the river. The park closes at dark, so you'll have to find a parking space a bit away from it and find a spot a bit upstream or downstream from it. There's a medium sized feeder creek that comes out about 25 yards downstream from the park.

The park is located off of Algonkian Parkway in Countryside, right across from Westmoreland Dr.
    (Map)

There's alot of crap out in the water out there. Lots of trees and logs and whatnot. I lost alot of hooks to snags that way. I finally ended up using jighead hook/weights mostly because they didn't snag on much at all.

I've been down that way 3 times now and each time the catfish were biting nonstop all night. The first night, I had just cast, set the pole down on the holder and went to get my girlfriend's pole ready to cast and within 30 seconds the first pole was yanked out and dragged almost all the way into the water before I could grab it :lol:

Hope that helps.

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian, from there tail, I would say they are channel cats. glad you had fun.

Oh how did you post that big a picture?

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use www.imageshack.us for pictures. It's free and easy.

Just get the pictures onto your computer then upload them to imageshack and copy and paste the link onto your forum post.

12. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Spongiform,

Way to catch the channels. And, thanks for the tip on the spot you caught them from. Did you camp overnight on the Island? And, since you mention, you did not have a boat, I guess the water is low enough to wade over to the Island?

13. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's a bit too deep to wade in some spots. We used a small inflatable raft. Put the girlfriend and the gear in it, and I swam/waded across with myself tied to the boat (with a lifejacket). Forged out a little comfy campsite and stayed the night. We're planning a 3 day trip in a week or two depending on weather and such.

It was fairly deep on the banks - deeper then I could reach with a life jacket on, but pretty shallow in the middle part. I could wade through some of it.

Here's a pic of me taking a load of gear across -> Here <-

We're planning on getting a bigger boat later this month. Looking at a Coleman Colosuss. 4 person boat with 840 lbs capacity. I figure it'll be just right for 2 people + camping gear. But still small enough to carry around when deflated. Best price I could find was $85 from amazon.com including shipping. (Link)

14. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice channel cats bro, had to be fun reeling them in.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: THEY ARE CHANNEL CATS. GREAT CATCH. AND WELCOME TO THE B.O.C. YOUR GONNA ENJOY IT .

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Spongiform,

Thanks for the information.

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree, nice channels.

18. IL Hunter