What kind of camera you using?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by FlatheadManiacScott, Jan 26, 2010.

1. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have'nt seen it posted anywhere on here so not sure if this is the right place ?

I use an Olympus Stylus 850SW :
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?fl=2&id=1365

Its waterproof down to 10ft. , Shockproof , freeze proof down to 14 degees , has 8.0 mp 3x zoom , SELF-TIMER and comes with a VERY long lasting rechargable battery. I have mine loaded with a 4gb card and it has performed flawlessly.

So whats everyone elses choice ?

Scott

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    my phone. it does ok. i whould like to actually get a big and better camera for outings but i not a man of money so for now my phone does fine.

3. FlatheadManiacScott

State:
    Ohio
    Isaiah , watch for deals before and after x-mas , bought my 850SW for about $100 last year...was 50% off..hell yea !

I saw some digitals this x-mas advertised for $50....plus theres always ebay.

Good luck,
    Scott

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need to buy a new one and I ideally want a self timer. Right now when alone I set my 6 year old crappy digital camera to take a short movie. Then when I get home I have to edit out a picture out of the movie.

5. FlatheadManiacScott

State:
    Ohio
    Yea A self-timer is a MUST for a fishing camera.....plus I would not get one that is not waterproof ever again. Fishing outdoors in rain and various temps. causes moisture that will kill a camera quickly.

Scott

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a Fugi Finepix S700 it has a 10x zoom,video clips capability, and more bells and whistles than I can figure out. Got it on sale at Sears for around 290.00

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    As a veteran of many years of photography and outdoor usage, I'd advocate a digital camera that fits your needs....It is nice to do a video once in a while.... I use to do a lot videos while snow skiing....but the old Panasonic vhs is not with me anymore....

As a teacher of photography I tried to keep up with al the advancements in digital cameras. I have purchased many cameras over the years for student use......Personally I like a SLR size.... and have a Nikon D-40x with several lenses to use with it. I bought a Cannon A540 for my wife who needs the simplicity of a "easy to use camera".....and now she is using her G3 phone to take the pics that she wants.....

The students use to bring in there cameras to show what they got for this occasion or that....

The big problem with cameras is the battery usage..... you need extra batteries and or charger...I use to tell the kids to not leave the LCD screen on to view what is being taken by the camera..... That takes more battery life.....

Things are really changing fast..... Nikon has some nice "quick" cameras......there are so many out there..... I was lucky that there are several excellent camera shops here locally to my home, and I had the time to talk to the salesmen....

The size of the chip, and the writing speed of the chip is an important thing for me...... I do not like to sit and wait for the camera to take the pic and to write to the chip....

I have done many ways to "up load" images to computers...... I have found that doing editing in a camera can eat up the batteries big time......Thats why I like the Nikon... it has big batteries....enough to do all the editing in the camera...but I usually save that for Photoshop....

I personally think that to carry all your photos on your camera to show friends is a waste of camera memory.... Upload and put them on the Computer in a good picture program.....

So.... my advise.... technology is changing so fast..... buy used from a reputable dealer....You are going to get another camera down the line........have one for the boat/ tackle bag.......and one for the scenic photos...

I haven't said squat....but .....get one for the wife.... and borrow it once in a while....

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need to find a camera that has enough details to pick up my awesome fish but not enough detail to pick up the ugly of the guy holding the fish.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have a Sanyo vpc 5500 from wally world.I bought back in 07 for 89 bucks.Takes good pictures but only has a 3X zoom. 5.o mega pixals.not bad for close up pictures.
    Some day I'd like to get a video camera ,when I get rich and famous that is:Nop:
    ain't gonna happen.

10. nitrofreq

nitrofreq New Member

State:
    iowa
    we (me and the wife) have 3 Canons. an A530, A560 and an A70. they are great for what we do.

cody.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pentax Optio W60, 10 megapixel, 5x optical, 28 mm wide angle zoom lens, waterproof to 13', cold proof to 14 degrees, shock resistant, night vision setting. Great pics and HD movies. I've had mine about a year, great boat/hunting camera, love it. Well worth the 300 bones I paid for it. Just clip on a small Wild Wolf safety float and get it wet!
    They now have a newer model out now, a W80, not sure of the difference but it should be good one.

12. bigmike971

bigmike971 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive got a kodak c813 8mp. I bought used on ebay for $35. 2 energizer lithium AA's and your good to go all day. Has a 2gb sd card more then enough storage for a day out. Very simple and straight forward to use. I dont go on boats but if i did I'd get a waterproof camera.

13. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My better half has a good camera. I bought it for her but for some reason she won't let me use it. I usually just use my phone, it's always with me anyway.

14. festus

festus New Member

Same here, my girlfriend is the photographer. She used to be a newspaper reporter/photographer. She has a top of the line Nikkon. I have an Olympus she gave me last summer, but I haven't taken the time to learn it yet. I use the little camera on my Pantech cell phone. One of these days I'll upgrade my phone service to where I can get these photos off my phone. But last year I didn't really catch anything worthy of posting on here because I didn't fish much until September and October, a bunch of small channels and blues, one was a 14 pound blue, one 27" channel, a 23 pound striper, a 4' gar, a small muskie, and some monster bluegill about 11".

15. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    just text them to your email and should be no charge with your provider

16. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A lot of the photos in my album and my current avatar picture were taken with my phone. My phone has a micro sd card so I can use the supplied adapter and plug the card into my computer's SD slot or I can bluetooth the pictures to my computer.