What kind of broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by coltsfan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    do you all use. i use NAP THUNDERHEAD 125, and love them .

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use the thunderheads in 100.

3. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I live for the moment. The "Muzzy Moment" !!! :big_smile:

4. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I like jak-hammers and muzzys

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The G-5 Montec 100 grain are what I'm using this year. Fly exactly with my field points, no adjusting needed but I don't know how they work on deer. Chris

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    100 gr. Muzzy's, bad to the bone.

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use Muzzy and Wasp.

I tried the Mechanical/open on impact heads and will never use them again. I spit upon them!!!
    You can't always have the perfect hit, stuff happens.

I hit a shoulder blade on a big 8 the first time I used the mechanicals. The buck ran off with about 26" of the arrow sticking out. Muzzy would have punched through, so I went back to them.

I absolutely do not recommend open on impact heads.

Robert

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just use the cheap Silver Tip (open on impact) broadheads. They seem to work well for me. I would like to use some of the rockets but they are to expensive. Good luck!!

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I started out using Thunderhead 150's. They are a 2 blade head with 1 3/8 cut (I think). I killed 4 with them then I changed to Thunderhead 125's and took around a dozen with them. I had to quit bowhunting, due to health, a couple of years after mechanical broadheads got popular and I never got around to using them. I had sold my compounds and had gotten a custom long bow and I was going to use Roathair (sp?) Snuffers with that rig. They are 3 blade cut on contact broadheads. I got sick and never got to hunt with that rig so I sold it. I sure do like the cut on contact broadheads especially if you're shooting 'light loads'. It takes so much less kinetic energy to get a pass through with a head like that. I may have to find my old recurve and do a little shooting cause all this bowhunting excitement has started my neck to swelling.:big_smile:

st

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't bow hunt any more as I got it out of my system a long time ago.I lived in Arizona for a time as a young man and we used to hunt on the White River Apache Indian Reservation.The rules were non native Americans could only archery hunt while the Apaches could use firearms.Strange to be creeping around with a bow (Recurve) while the Apaches were all carrying firearms.:big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: That must have been their revenge for all those bad Cowboy and Indian movies.:lol: In any case I have a friend that is taking up the sport and he is convinced that a Matthews is the best bow out there.Before he throws a lot of money on the table I would appreciate the opinion of some of you expert Bowyers.Don't want to start an argument about which is best just an opinion on Matthews.Personally I don't care one way or another.:big_smile:

11. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey brother, there is no "best" bow out there. If someone is gonna pay that kind of money for a bow then they would be stupid if they didnt go and shoot every new bow they can get their hands on. Bows are just like fishing rigs. One model of bow may be perfect for one archer but terrible for another. Just like one catfisher has his own preference to a certain setup. I'll do all i can to help you narrow it down though. Your buddy needs to figure out where all of his local shops are and go to each one. my guess is that he will be able to find at least a mathews, bowtech, hoyt and probably martin dealer in his area. These are probably the most common big name bows on the market right now. He needs to tell each shop owner that he is wanting to buy a new bow and they will let him shot some of their bows to see what he likes. After he goes to as many shops as possible and shoots as many bows as he can, he then can make a judgement on what he liked best. And one more thing, he's best to wear ear plugs when he goes to these shops. Each shop owner is going to have a preference as to what brand he wants to push (usually whatever he gets the better mark up on). dont let that sway your decision. Best of luck partner.

I also wanted to say there are so, so, so many other bow brands out there other than what I have named. Many of these other companys make very high quality bows. I'll list some more. PSE, Browning, Archery Research, Reflex, Newberry, Ross, Parker, Darton, Fred Bear.................

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use 100 gr. thunderheads, never had a problem @ all. The way I see it is this, I kill alot of feral hogs here, for the most part the arrow always makes a clean pass-thru.

Taking into consideration that the hide/Bone mass is much denser in the hogs vs. the deer, i can't see why I should change.

JMHO, Elliot

13. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Mathews makes a high quality bow. It is very popular and there will always be a resale market for a used one. There will always be a shop that can work on one and get parts.

Now the negatives..$$$$$$$$ They cost a large amount of money! I have had 2 Mathews, "HAD" being the operative word. For me, they were not the end all bow. Some guys will shoot nothing else.

So before anyone spends the cash, make sure it is THE bow for them. That is unless spending $1000 bucks to set up a bow is petty cash.

Robert

14. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.

same thing happen to me. i use muzzy 125gr. i got a new reflex buckskin and thought i would try some of these new broadheads everyone was talking about also dropped to a 100gr. big mistake! nice six pointer came at 15 yards. i shot the deer right behind the shoulder and he ran off with the arrow hanging out. after getting down looking for blood i found the arrow and it had been broke off. all the arrow was there except about 4 to 6 inches. i never found that deer and that was the first deer with a bow that i failed to harvest. went back to the muzzy 125gr. the same day threw the spitfires in the trash. this is my opinion. a 20 to 30 yard shot with a muzzy depending on bow conditions is going to go threw a deer busting anything in its path.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've used muzzy 100gr. 3 blades (its a good head) but now im using Nap spitfire expandables in 100 gr.

16. BIGCATMIKE

BIGCATMIKE New Member

State:
    illinois
    muzzy 100 grain chisal tip

17. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    im just gettin into bow huntin,, i need advice on what to use in way of arrows

18. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    100 gr. thunderheads

19. hunter 327

hunter 327 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    80 or 100 gr Thunderheads

20. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Last year I used mechanicals, but i've heard so much positive feed back on Muzzy that i've made the switch to 75 grain, 3 blade muzzy.