What kind of boat?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Jun 27, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    So i have been looking at boats to try and decide what i want to fit my needs. I would like something that i could bass fish and catfish from and be able to travel easily with. Pontoon would be too large to take to better parts of the state for fishing. Bass Boats seem like they would not work well for catfishing with 2 people. Open Bow i have now idea about how well you could do either type of fishing in. Im thinking maybe a fishing type larger vhull or lund type but again i dont know. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Fud

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Lake or river fishing? In a lake I realy like my friends Lund deep-V it is great for drift fishing.

3. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    I would say lake fishing.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just get you a 14ft-16ft xtra wide jon boat.. you would have plenty of room and could run a short shaft 25hp OB or Jet Motor on it and be able to run the rivers and lakes from it...

5. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Yeah what he said. When I find the right deal that's what I'm gonna get. That setup is had to find without coughing up some dough. I just sold my Lund cause it wasn't a good river boat.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do shanes Idea - but man - if your doing lakes.... there's not much cooler than a pontoon or big Skiff with ten thousand rod holders all over it!:cool2:

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    A deep V modified may suit your needs, however i noticed a person mentioned their Deep V was not a good river boat. I Should say, that it is a good big river boat if you are fishing the ohio, but if you are fishing the more shallow rivers in Indiana and elsewhere, a deep v can run in shallow water but a flat bottom may be a more practical choice. Either way, I hope you find your perfect rig :cool2:

8. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm kind of in the same boat:wink:

Except I need a good boat for the Ohio river and 2-3 people, I'm a fairly large guy (300lbs) and I am a clueless as to what to look for in a used boat. Any suggestions?

Looking for something economical to get out there!

9. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm picking up a new boat this week. It's a Lowe Roughneck, 17,6 with a 50 hp Merc. A friend has one,and I was so impressed with it,I ordered one. They have a 3.5 degree hull ( shallow vee) called VorTrac. It handles the rough water better than a flat bottom,and turns more like a vee bottom boat,while having a shallow draft for rivers. Pretty good all around boat (if there is such a thing?) Check them out http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/welded-jon/roughneck-jon/r1760sc.php Ron

10. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I had an 2004 1860 Lowe roughneck for about 4 years, modified v hull, and it was perfect for the rivers, good on the lake. Most of the time fishing by myself, but we did fish up to six people at a time comfortably. Of course, it was a tiller, so space gained there. I now have a 2008 ProTeam 175TXW BassTracker, great on the lake, good on the river. However, I won't be fishing 6 peeps out of that one. Snaggin season we do three, plus the driver. Catfishin is bout the same, but I don't have three friends that like to catfish, least not with each other! That Lowe brand new with 50 horse Merc and trailer ran me about $8500, so you oughta be able to find the same boat now for $3500-$4000, I would think.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    an open bow "lund type" can do both well so thats my input.

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 2001 16ft pro team bass tracker with a 25hp merc. The boat is perfect for the smaller rivers here. It works ok on the lakes and even the Ohio river but I would like to get a deep, wide boat like a lund or even a big jon style boat likea pro cat. I would suggest to you in buying a boat that fits your style, body of water and price range. Get one that has good storage if possible. Good luck on the boat and post some pics when you get one.

13. bigcatkev

bigcatkev Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 17 foot d-v lund and fish both the ohio river and big lakes in indiana and for a smaller boat it will take a pounding. Makes a great all around boat for family and fishing.