What Kind of Blank?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Katmandeux, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I see custom one-piece surf rods in shops around here, and they're tempting, but I can't make myself spend that kind of money w/o knowing what I'm getting.

I know I could just ask, but we all know people is liars, so here's my question: Is there any way to identify a blank, other than buying it and building it yourself?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    to my knowledge theres no way a layman can tell the differance but im sure the custom rod builders can.as for them lying to you they might if that one rod is all they want to sell.in this day and age of high dollar equipment a mans reputation is of the utmost importance and i dont beleive they would take a chance on you being dissatisfied and telling the fishing world about it.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll give you a piece of advice.
    Even if you bought it yourself you couldn't be sure.
    Rod blanks are a big black market item.

The big problem is it's hard to find the culprits doing the copy catting because the rods change hands 4 or 5 times before they get to the consumer level.
    The best advice is to buy from known dealers. Well known and respected dealers.

When I buy I buy G.Loomis. Primarily because I like the product, I trust Loomis, and I feel I could spot a fake Loomis coming out of it's box because I've opened enough of them.
    Got to really watch the labels. That is one place these bootleggers commonly screw the pooch.

Finally. Sadly the amateur rod building community pass these things on as original. I'm sure some have no clue but I'm sure some do know what they are doing. At any rate they are keeping the thieves in business.
    If the price on a blank is too good to be true, it is.

I'm not going to get a 300 dollar price on a blank from Gary Loomis and then go find the same blank on the internet for 55 bucks. It wont be a Loomis.
    It would be a rare find as in someone losing their ass and selling out.

Only thing I can tell you is you'll have to trust somebody, either a builder or a supplier. You can get screwed by both knowingly or unknowingly.

It's a major problem invading the industry and people tend to be ignoring it or either just aren't getting it.