what kind of batter do u use for cookin fish?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by melstangman1967, Mar 28, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    do y'all buy or make your own fish batter.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Myself I use Andy's fish batter. They also make it for Chicken and other meats.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We generally prefer using a cornmeal coating, but some years back, when I was doing a lot of fish fries (frys?) for our church, I cooked a lot of fish with batter. I made a slight modification to my beer batter, which is simply Bisquick and beer; I substituted plain old carbonated water (soda water) for the beer, and it tasted just about the same. By mixing the batter thick, thin, or somewhere in between, I could vary the thickness of the crust on the fish. Be sure to roll the fillet in flour before dipping it in the batter, or the batter won't stick very well.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Andy's Red is my usual coating.

5. melstangman1967

State:
    missouri
    nayone make their own batter

6. melstangman1967

State:
    missouri
    i mix beer with b-b-que tastes bout the anyone ever used just corn meal

7. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yeah try 8 eggs and 1 can of mountain dew,then house of autery seafood breading its the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just use the old 50/50 mix of cornmeal and flour ,with any seasonings I feel like adding at the time.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually buy that Bass Pro Shop fishing batter it taste really good

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Andy's Red as well. It seems to be the only fish breading that I don't feel compelled to add more seasoning to. It's great just how it is. I think Sheila likes it better when I just use cornmeal, salt and pepper...and maybe a pinch of cajun spice.

I've never used beer batter on catfish, but I plan to try it soon. If it's greasy, I won't dig it. I usually just like a light crispy crust that doesn't hold much grease.

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Harold Ensley's is what i use, 3rd gen as a matter of fact. i was too young to remember what grandma used back then but when i got older to remember it was Harold Ensley.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I dont use batter myself. I dont like the way it holds oil. JMHO

13. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I like Louisiana Fish Fry. It's a cornmeal coating, and it doesn't hold near the grease that batter does.

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I use cornmeal and a little self rising flour, salt and pepper to taste
    Fry to a golden brown

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I use bisquick, or cornmeal, ust depends how thick I want the crust

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ihave used alot of different batters and bass pro uncle bucks is my favorite even though it is a lill expensive .....

17. fishing bum

fishing bum New Member

State:
    Victoria Texas
    I like to use mustard with a little tabasco then roll it in cornmeal that has a little seasoning in it and fry to golden brown the pig out.

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    If I am cooking for just Sallie and me I use either Zatarain's Crispy Southern Style or Paul Prudhomme's Breading Magic. My preference is the Paul Prudhomme's. If I am cooking for 50 or more I use Drum Rock Fis-Chic which is pretty much just yellow corn flour with a little seasoning. The first two are just too expensive to use when cooking for a large group. The Drum Rock is what I will be using at the Chattanooga gathering.

19. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have used bisquick for a long time and added beer and eggs and add some fine crumbled crackers and a touch of hot sauce. :wink:

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've tried all kinds of dry coating/breading mixes for fish, and normally just double dip the fillets (let 'em sit a minute in between to kind of absorb the first coat). You can make your own with all sorts of things.....cornmeal, flour, cracker meal, bread crumbs, etc. But, there are some very good packaged mixes, and that's a lot easier.

I prefer House-Autry Seafood Breader myself. They have several different types (regular, low-sodium, medium spicy, hot and spicy, lemon pepper). The only problem with recommending that particular brand is it's only available in 23 states; all of which are in the SE, mid-atlantic, and NE areas of the US.

Anyhow, the other evenin' (after reading posts about BATTER on here), I decided to do something a l'il different. I like dipping my chicken and vegetables in buttermilk before coating and frying, so I thought....why not fish? I mixed one egg with about a cup of buttermilk and some black pepper, whisking well. Dipped each fillet in dry breader, then the buttermilk mix, then again in the dry breader; making sure they were well coated.

They turned out great! Very light batter, extremely crispy, and not greasy.