What kind of Baitfish are these? Caught in Badin.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catamount311, Nov 17, 2009.

1. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pretty sure they are shad, but can someone verify what kind of shad they are? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    These were a lot more slinder than that threadfin in your pic. Long and thin.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Maybe a mooneye....not sure..i knwo we have caught threads that look longer and skinnier like that certain times of the year

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    looks like a thread fin to me, however it doesnt have the spot...

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Young blueback herring

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i catch them in the missouri river a lot on worms...i use them for channel cat bait...they look sorta like creek chubs but at the same time i dont think they are...there not moon eye...thread fin is a possibility but i dont know much about tread fin...ther arent gizzard shad for sure...

7. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well whatever they are the cats really like them. Put one on alive and it hardly hit the water before i had a hook up. Used them cut, and on ice as well with the same results. Haven't had any luck catching them lately though. Netted these in late summer off the end of my dock, haven't seen any since. They don't stay alive long in my 5 gallon bucket with air, and they are extremely shiny.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    they are bluebacks. I caught a bunch up near the dam between the two walls or drifting in the current if running water.
    Gizards have blunt noses and are not skinny from top to bottom like bluebacks.

9. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for clearing that up guys, can you net bluebacks year round? Also do they get bigger than the ones i got. I'd like to get out with someone that knows what they are doing so they can show me the ropes of catching these pigs, on Badin. Let me know if anyone would be nice enough to take me out. I'll be down this weekend all weekend fishing from my dock. Still working on getting my depth finder installed after that it's game on, on the toon. But i'd like to have some kinda idea as to what i'm doing once i get out there so i'm not spinning my wheels. As always thanks for all the valuable info. Send me a pm anytime, i'm down about every weekend.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats blue back herring its a great bait for cats

11. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's Blue Backs for sure. I catch them in Badin all the time.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep, that's blueback herring. Whatever you do don't ever get caught near the coast with those things. They would put you under the jail. There's a moratorium on them in coastal waters. Same goes for alewife herring.

They are like stripers, they're an anadromous fish (the come from s. water to fresh water to spawn). Seem to do just fine land locked just like the stripers.

13. RIVERHOBO

RIVERHOBO Member

State:
    nc
    I'm pretty sure there herring.

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Shaped like a threadfin, but again like the previous posts favors a mooneye as well.

15. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pretty sure that there isn't any mooneye in badin. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I'm going with blueback herring after reading the posts and doing a little more research.

16. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys i sell bait looks like there r blue back herring or alwilles they both look real close the same the allwilles have a real square nose beentold badin is full of bb

17. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anybody know where they hang out on Badin this time of year. I live on the complete opposite end of the lake from the dam, around the circle drive put in. I'm headed down tonight and thinking about heading out on the toon to the backs of some creeks. Problem i've been running into lately is it gets dark so early i can't get down there in time to catch them breaking the top of the water. Any help would be appreciated, the dam is about a 25 min pontoon ride that i don't like to make.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc

Them be Bluebacks for sure. One sure way to tell the bluebacks from the threadfin is that on the threadfins dorsal fin, the last ray towards the back will have a noticeably longer thread on it, hence the name "threadfin".

If you know where they are you can also wait until dark and throw out a Styrofoam crappie light into the water and within a hour they will be swarming around your boat. We get tons of them here and they are one of the best cat baits here.

FYI, not all bluebacks will have that black dot near their gills either. I thought they did until I was at the bait shop looking at thousands of them. Some had dots, some didn't....next time I catch threadfins I will see if the all have the dot or not.