What kind of bait fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tugrivercater, Aug 6, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    i was at the river (more like a large creek) and saw these bait fish rangeing from 2 to 5 inches long and when they turned side ways there sides lite up silver??? what are they? I put out a minnow trap but couldent catch any. Ive been 2 days in a role with not one fish. Ive been useing chicken liver, rock bass live and dead, creek chubs cut up, peanut butter balls, and hog wild premo..... onle line that moved both days was the premo but when the line started getting tight it would fall back down, tryed to set the hook sevrel times while the nile was tighting up but no hook ups, was it just baybe channels? sorry i got off topic.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tug river cater, It could have been shad or shiners, either one will flip on their side like that, but it is near impossible to catch shad in a trap, but you can catch shiners. Vern

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    shiners will go into a trap... most likely it was shad... possibly a fish called a roach, they'll go into your trap but are fast and good about getting out if you leave it too long and they run out of food...

4. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I would say they are shad too.

5. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds like shad to me. A cast net works wonders on catching shad. If you see alot of them in the creek that is probably what the fish are biting on. good luck