what kind of a hunter buys his deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by team salmon, Sep 21, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    O.k. here it is - I've just got to say it makes me sick to see all the commercials on purchasing geneticly large deer and introducing them for the purpose of shooting a big deer - just wanted to know some others thoughts on this subject! I'd have a hard time looking others in the eye and being proud of my so called acoplishment to harvest (or should I say shooting) of such an animal!! Also does anyone have any logic way of convincing me that a high fence opperation is any better? Go ahead guys and gals and lay it all out there because it's the future of the sport and I'd honestly like to know your thoughts.

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I feel free range hunting is the only way to hunt. I would never hunt on these ranches with tall fences. And for the introducing deer in. I think it is ok for breeding purposes but not to kill that one deer. would write more but have to get back to work

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    one reason and the only reason i like a high fence would be to keep the deer from getting to a ranch or farm that just kills everything. it can help you manage your ranch, and keep your neighbors from killing all the hard work you do. any other reason than that i think is BS. you should try and work it out with the neighbors at all costs.

as for introducing a big deer, i wouldn't have a problem with it, if it was to improve the genetics on the property, however i would not shoot that particular deer. it has been around humans to much and isnt scared of them, there for it is like one of those crate hunts they do in texas. you know the ones where you can purchase and elephant or rhino and then they release it and you shoot it the same day. i dont think that counts as hunting.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a bigger gripe about folks with big money leasing huge ranches here than high fence operations,We dont have those YET.

5. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I don't know why anyone would want to spend $2000 to $10000 dollars to go hunt a ranch and shoot a deer that you could go shoot for free elsewhere. High fence hunting is retarted I think. It's more of a trophy hunting free range deer.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't see nothin wrong with diversity in the gene pool, but shooting a tame deer in an enclosure is like shooting fish in a barrel. A guy could go to a shooting range and have as much sport. Sometimes I see a deer when I'm out, sometimes I don't, but in both situations its all up to the deer and the environment.

Where I hunt is a difficult area, but there are deer in there, and deer move thru it. It has a lake on the east and south side, and marshy area and river to the north. Its about a mile wide, and on the other side of the road is private property and a different zone. That dont' mean nothin to the deer, but can't hunt that. A guy just has to find em, pattern their movement, and either wait em out or track em. Probably never catch up to a buck, but a feeding doe is possible to sneak up on.

7. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Wow so many sides to this one. I don't agree with enhanced deer, but from a ranch owners point of view it is there lively hood and they want the biggest and the best so they can charge the most money. I have never hunted a place with breeder deer. Watched a show that I will not name that talked about these same topics. One point of view is that once deer have been touched they went from wild game to livestock I agree with this. I would never buy a deer that is in a breeder pin to go and shoot, that's not hunting to me. I do go to a high fence ranch in Texas at least once a year, the ranch is over 40,000 acres and has 37 miles of fence around it. The fence is around it to keep things ( varmints, poachers, and illegals ) out not to keep the deer in, I know alot of you are going sure what ever. I have sat in blinds all day and seen nothing other times I have seen over 50 deer in 2 hours. I know it is sort of 2 faced to say I don't have a problem with a 40,000 acre high fence ranch but a 500 acre ranch I do. To me size is a issue and would not hunt or should I say shoot a deer at a small ranch that is high fence. I have became good friends with the ranch owner and his family over the last few years and go to visit with them as well as hunting. Even though it is high fence there is so much land it is like free range, you can't just jump in the truck and go find a big buck, you don't know where they are. Hunting there is just like anywhere else I have hunted, you may see them you may not, you still have to put your time you just don't go and shoot a big buck. Still when it is all said and done a high fence deer can't go in the record books. I must say I am most proud of a deer I took off my land not because it is the biggest I have harvested but I did it all myself and it is a trophy for my area. Sorry for being wishy washy but it is a hard topic, I know a bunch of people say they would never hunt any high fence but if it is large enough you will only see the gate when you come in. I do support anyone's way of hunting even if I don't agree with as long as it is legal. I have attached a picture of my favorite deer, the picture is a littel fuzzy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  8. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    id much rather spend my money on a trip to alaska to hunt bear or caribou. maybe even go on a elk hunt in montana. no fences, just steep hills.

9. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hunting fenced animals just aint hunting to me, it should be banned

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am going to a farm in Kentucky when i get back. Its 900 bucks. No fences and free range game. So in a way I am still buying a deer. They are doing all the work i am just going to sling an arrow into him. I just bring my climber and climb a tree. this is my first paid for hunt. But hey i just want to shoot a deer with my bow and havent had time to scout. after this hunt i am going to hunt like i normally do and fill the freezer until the rut starts then going to bag a big one.

11. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Andrew I don't think you are buying a deer rather you are renting a place to hunt. I go on paid hunts because I like hunting different areas of the country. Some people go to Disney for vacation I go hunting. I love my track of land and hunt 3 times or more a week, but still enjoy going somewhere else and experiencing a different style of hunting. Hope you stick a big one.

12. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I don't understand why someone would pay big money on a genetically altered or any pen raised "monster" buck to help the genetics on their property. I was a wildlife biology major in college and we spent a large deal of time on this exact subject. A big mature buck will only breed a handful of does a year at best. Some may not even breed at all. Believe it or not, almost half of the breeding is done by young, immature bucks at the least.

Another thing to remember is that HALF of the genetics that goes into the making of a big buck comes from the DOE! So even if the pen raised deer breeds every doe on the property, there still has to be a pretty good gene pool to produce another large buck, that is if their offspring is even a buck.

Genetics are not the only thing that goes into the making of big bucks. They also have to have the right year round nutrition to even think about getting a large set of bone to grow up top.

I just can't see why someone would spend their hard earned money on such a gamble as this. Especially if the buck just roamed off and never came back. Even worse if the neighbor brought pictures of him to your house the opening day of season to show off the giant he just shot...

13. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are pro's and con's to both sides. I can see where Daniel is coming from. 40,000 acres is a lot of land. I used to hunt on 4,000. I thought that was a lot of land to hunt. That ended when a Texan tossed lots of money around and bought everyone out that had land on the mountain. He bulldozed a few trees, built a big pond, and sold it to another Texan for even more money. Deer leases are hard to come by, much less good places to hunt on public land. Last year I got in my 14' v-bottom and went way up one of our creeks to deer hunt on public land. Had to run my motor in shallow drive for a good ways. I finally found a good looking spot that had a steep hillside running along the creek making a natural funnel. I walked around and found rubs and tracks all over. Then I found a portable tree stand. I walked on down and found empty sacks of corn and a ladder stand. On further down I found a brand new ground blind. I went back to my boat. The point I am making is that due to lack of hunting areas, some people feel forced to utilize these large hunting operations. Remember, everything is about money. People pay money to hunt, they expect to see deer. But not just any deer, big deer. The hunting experience for some may be different than it is for you or me. Some want to sit in a heated blind with a guide, shoot a deer, and let Jo Bob do all the work of dealing with a dead animal. To others, they pride theirself on being able to find their own deer, shoot it from the blind or stand they placed on their own, and then field dress and drag their animal out. To each his own. Come October 1st, I will be in a stand holding my bow, hunting on 160 acres with a barbed wire fence on only one side, feeling lucky that I will be the only one hunting that area. Unless one of the Texans from the adjoining land gets lost and ACCIDENTLY strays too far from his side!

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't personally see the reason for the ruckus. I read post after post on this site about the brothers buying better scopes/sights for their rifles/bows, about buying higher powered rifles or better slug shotguns, about different methods of calling game, hunting with compound bows. Everyone is out to increase THEIR chances on a KILL. It seems the only thing which matters is killing, and this comment can apply to fish also. Of course, it is harder to CPR a deer after you harvested it with an atomic broad head or such. Turkey's too. Man is a hunter...shame that most of us are not concerned with protecting the wilderness and its animals.

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Red Stag Hunting has become big business in Argentina. I was in Buenos Aires last year when they had the annual auction of huge Red Stags for enhancing genetics on ranches that offer stag hunts. Un believable!! prettiest racks you ever saw on a horned animal. A red stag is like a european elk. The British brought the first stags over in the 1800's to put on their ranches. Folks from all around the world come to hunt them. I have loads of rancher buddies and know how much effort they go into to enhance their herd genetics. I think its OK to do the same with their wildlife. medium stag is worth $2,000 trophy fee and whoppersaurus is worth $10,000 at the same age. Bring on the superior genes.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in no way shape or form can you purchase a rhino or elephant in texas with the purpose of shooting it. that is guaranteed prison time. i always hear about these canned hunts from out of staters, must be why i haven't seen the circus much lately! :smile2: on the other hand, high fence ranches can be good or bad i guess. like the 100 acre pens people shoot deer out of that have a few trees in the middle, i don't care for them. i have seen these ranches that are 1000 acres or more, you never see the fence except when you drive in. i think a lot of them are set up for folks who can't hunt or just haven't cultivated the skills to be a hunter. i hunt public land and get my deer every year. that being said, i am not going to tell someone else how to hunt if their way is different than mine. at the end of the season i better have meat in the freezer, that's all that matters to me!

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Once you put a fence around the animal that keeps it in it is no longer a free or wild animal,they feed them and make sure there is water available,now they're domesticated livestock,in fact I've seen wilder cows in Idaho than the deer in fenced in feilds.

18. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Lawrence, sorry but I have to disagree with sections of your post. First off I think the reason most people buy the newest, fanciest equipment is to keep up with their neighbor or friend that just bought a new gun or scope. To me, hunting is not all about killing. I enjoy watching the sun come up or go down while sitting in my stand. The sound of the leaves falling from the trees. It's my time to forget about the stress of daily life.

I also feel that the majority of people on this site try to protect the wilderness and its animals. I am pretty much the only one hunting on the 160 acres I hunt on. I try to only harvest old does without little ones and mature bucks. I let lots of deer walk each year. My friends pretty much hunt the same way I do.

CPR of deer? Guess I could shoot them with a paint ball gun. I like to eat deer but as mentioned above I am selective about what I harvest. Wildlife biologists have set an ample limit and our herd has been thriving.

When it comes to turkey hunting, I only shoot mature gobblers. I have not shot a turkey in two years as a result. I only had a few days to hunt both years and could only get jakes to come in. I also like to eat turkeys.

Your post was vague when you talked about it being a shame that most of us were not concerned about protecting the wilderness and it's animals. Are you against hunting totally or did you mean that people should use better judgement in the outdoors?

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I truly just want people to THINK and leave their ego's at home. If a deer is harvested, and the hunter eats the meat, I have no problem. If the deer is harvested and the hunter only takes the hide or the rack, I have problems with that. The sad thing is I'm just a nobody who thinks most outdoorsmen are only interested in their pleasure. Probably the only reason they will look at a sunrise or sun set is because they are hunting...doubtful they do it at other times.

20. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    lots of good posts - here's my honest oppinions on the matters at hand - as far as protecting the enviorment and animals outdoorsmen supply more funds for this than anyone else- Big deer or little deer I have much more respect for someone who hunts on public ground and greets the challenge full force to test their skills and knowledge against those of the whitetail deer but even more so a whitetail deer that is acsessable to anyone who wants to pursue it. As far as the modifying of genetics in an area I am somewhat fortunate to be from kansas where the deer are free roaming and of trophy quality. For this reason I don't know what it's like to not have available the hopes of shooting the buck of a lifetime on any givin outing - however due to the "building" of bigger deer in other areas of the county and the so called hunters who harvest them have somehow convinced others that the deer that were once tropheys themselves are somehow now inferior!! This is wrong no matter how it's achieved - genetics, high fence, food programs, or any other means the future I'm sure will regretable revel! For the average hunter in these areas - I hope the future is brighter than what it appears to be at this point - as far as I'm concerened I think ANY high fenced area or stocked area should stick to just the exotics that way it doesn't misrepresent us who enjoy our wildlife and the presute of it !!