What kind of a grinder do you use to make chum.....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Beaver, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    I am wondering what kind of a grinders you guys use to grind up fish parts and scraps of meat, small enough to use for chum. I've heard you guys say you don't want to feed the Cats, just attract them.

Any comments will be appreciated.

HARRY

2. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Someone said to use a blender. I wonder if you could freeze the parts then refreeze them after you grind them?

I started to use my wifes blender then thought about the consequences after she tasted her margarita and I had to explain what I did. :smile2:

I have a rule. Don't make the cook mad. She can hurt ya.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lucky you caught yourself there Mark! lol:crazy:

I do think a blender is the way to go though.
    I have been thinking about taking an old table grinder with me and making better use of those pesky carp. Fresh chum, yum yum :big_smile:

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's what I do Jack. I got an old hand grinder at the flea market that clamps on a board or the side of the boat. Trash fish in....chum out!

5. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I keep looking at the hand crank grinders they have at BPS but they are fairly expensive to buy... on Ebay they are no less expensive because those are all antiques and people collect them...

I would go with a hand crank one just for ease and it saves the battery a good bit... use what ever rotten or junk bait you have... the left over carcasses from shad, if you catch a bunch of bluegills... hell if you have a bait tank... if for some reason they die off freeze them and use them later with it... even check with your local fish markets or grocery stores to see if they can give you the old stuff and just freeze it to use later...

7. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When you chum should you just let it fall into the water or is it better to put it in a sack with a rope and a float and sink it to keep it on the bottom?

8. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Meat grinder works great the bigger ones you wont have to cut the fish up to run them through. I grind up the chum at home and freeze it in plastic tubs then put the blocks in a laundry bag they thaw in the water and last longer. I dont chum for catfish but I would put a rock in the bag and sink it to the bottom. If they are suspending (like the rockfish I chum for) just drop it over and let it stay at the surface, the waves will break it up and the little pieces will sink as they drift back. Throw a bigger piece of the same type of fish on an unweighted hook and let it drift with the chum.

Fresh chum works better but it gets messy grinding on the boat. Grind the chum into a bucket with a lid and small holes drilled into it and hang it overboard. Dont put too many holes in it or it will disappear fast remember you want to throw them french fries not steak (at least without a hook).

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I just throw it out in shallow water and sink it a bag like an onion bag in deeper water. Just let it form a slick. Tie the bag to the boat or shore and just shake it once in awhile. I have good luck with canned cat food. There is a whole thread on here about chummin'.

10. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    What about a sink disposall ?

Was watching restraunt equipment auction recently looking at stainless dish washing tables there appearred to be some sort of grinder (commercial disposall) underneath. Been thinking about one of these for a fish cleaning table.

In sewage lift stations there are grinder pumps anybody know what these are capable of?

11. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use an old janator sink out side with the drane attached to a food grinder with a cutting board over the basion and a bucket under the grinder spout it works great for me but i had all of this stuff lying around so it might not be practal for everie one just my 2 cens :smile2:

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Check out the Good Will stores. I just saw 4 hand grinders at one near here from $10-$15. That's not a bad deal.

13. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I use my grandmothers table grinder, bolonga salad will never taste the same again!