The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
ive got a 15 foot jon boat and i use a 43 lb thrust trolling motor on it all the time....i take two batteries with me though so that i dont have to stroke my way back to shore....id like to have a gas motor on it though it would make my fishing time go up quite a bit, because i could move across a lake faster. i think the data plat on mine limits me to a 10hp motor.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
only problem is i don't know what its rated for. Its a used 1974 Appleby 12x32 flatbottom jon boat. The specifications on it are long gone. Any idea what I could fit on her?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I had a 14' SeaKing by Montgomery Wards I bought around 1968. it was rated for a maximum of 9.5 horsepower. I doubt that you really should go any larger in HP. Depends on the age of your boat...bigger motor may just pop the rivets out when you hit a wave. Bigger motor may just shove the bow under water in big waves... Bigger motors do not necessarily mean it is faster or safer to operate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have a 1977 12ftx32" johnboat with the tag. The tag says max hp is 10 max load with motor gear and persons is 685 lbs i hope this helps.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts