What I've been fishing for, for the last 15 years or so...

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Owl, May 22, 2009.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    [​IMG]

The Southern Appalachian brook trout.

And this is typical of the places we go to get 'em...

[​IMG]

and sometimes you run into this.....and have to climb it or go around. In the case of the waterfall in this photo, the sides were too steep to go around, so we climbed right up the face. Fun? Not so much. :) ( I'm about done with all the adventuring of chasing brook trout, matter of fact. LOL)

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd share with you the beautiful little fish I've been after for all these years. They aren't big - a large one would be 10 inches or so...but they are pretty and they live in some wonderful places.

but i still want to go catfishing right now. LOL :roll_eyes:

PS - I tired to embed the photos into the post, but apparently the forums aren't set up to do that - or am I just missing an option somewhere? thanks.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    that was cool Owl, its like hunting and fishing at the same time. very cool.

3. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Thanks Matt...it is a little like hunting. A couple weekends ago in a stream in GA, we didn't stalk up on the creek very well and I was standing way too close to the pool we were fishing. Kinda out on a rock ledge....
    Well, I hooked a little rainbow, and as he was thrashing around, another trout - maybe a brown trout - came up and tried to eat him! My buddy and I figured that the bigger trout conservatively measured at least 17 or 18 inches. A MONSTER for wild trout in GA. Of course, he spooked when he saw me standing over his hole and took off like he was shot out of a cannon!
    But I know where he lives. ;) LOL

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm originally from Ga, coastal Ga, I guess i didnt realize there was such fish in Ga. I been wanting to go up to Arkansas and find me a mountain stream and try this fly rod i got. that sort of stalkng up and ambushing a fish with a well placed fly.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I know where a good trout hole is in north Georgia. Some of these will go 10 to 12 pounds. :big_smile:

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I gave up on trout fishing. I guess one reason is because I never catch any wild ones and end up fishing the stocker rivers. Then on another note I've more than once ended up casting myself in the water with them:eek:oooh:

7. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Yeah, well if you see holes like that in GA, you better stay out of 'em or risk a hindside full o' buckshot! :) LOL

If anyone here ever wants to try trout fishing for wild fish, I know some places that aren't hammered and it's possible to have a really nice day. But, you just have to change your attitude and your perception of "big" and "little"! :) LOL

8. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wouldn't mind hooking up with you one day Jeff, there are some streams I have wanted to try for the brookies not far from my house here in White Co. I need a guide.

9. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Well, I've got some bad news for ya! I'm no guide and I'm not much on crawling anymore. I'm too old and fat and outta shape! :) LOL

But I do know several good streams that I'd be willing to share with ya. One that's more bent-over walking than crawling.

You know the brookies now are mostly in the headwaters of most streams and the going is usually tough through the overgrown little creeks. I'm pretty sure I've fished every stream on public property in White Co. at one time or another. :) ( over almost two decades of fishing the mtns. of N. GA)

You should shoot me a PM and we'll talk trout. :)