What items to carry in a boat ?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by beakus, Nov 21, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i'm new to the boat world so tell me what are the esentals to carry in a boat.

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Top 3 safety items in my boat are life jackets, extra fuel, and fire ext.
    I also carry :
    basic tool set
    extra tackle
    rain gear
    fish skinnin pliers
    cuttin board
    cooler with drinks and food
    spot light
    insect repellant
    sun blocker lotion
    I prolly forgot some items but maybe this will give you a good idea of what you will need to bring out with you on a boating trip.

Hope this helps.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    scotts got a pretty good list but id add a tent or tarp some dry paper or kindling in case you have to spend the night some where also a radio flashlight , signal flares , extra rope , extra clothing , a mirror for signaling , a whistle and a compass and an oar or push pole

heres the contents of my boat : life jackets 4 , throw cutions or floats 2 , rain suits 2 , 200 foot of rope , a tarp , a mirror , a whistle , a battery less flashlight (the one you shake) , an oar , fire extiguisher , a dip net with extendible handle 12 ft (also used as push pole ) , a tool kit ; wreches and pliers , extra set of plugs , extra wire , rtv sealent and of course my fishing tackle

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The items to carry would depend on where you are going and what kind of boat you have.

You've gotten some good advice so far as to what to start out with. Let me just add a few other items that I carry in my boat - in case they were not mentioned already.

A throw floatation device - the kind you sit on.
    Spare fishing rods and tackle.
    An extra anchor.
    A tow rope - 100 foot - in case you need to get towed.
    A serrated boat knife - to be able to quickly cut rope.
    Extra clothing - hats and sun glasses.
    Bug juice.
    Sun screen.
    Spark plug wrench and spare spark plugs.
    1 PFD for every passenger - that fits each person properly.
    Beverages or your choice.
    Spare pliers - in case your other one goes overboard.
    Flotation for your landing net.
    Scissors.
    Some well equiped fishing buddies.
    Patience and a good attitude.

I would also recommend a boating safety course before going out on your first trip.

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    can't add much but i agree with cathound a boating safety course would be a great idea for anyone new to boating

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    As far as I'm concerned, one of the most important things you can carry on a boat is your cell phone.

Of course, if your cellular service provider has poor coverage where you fish, it won't do any good. But I've had a good signal everywhere I've been and it's saved my butt once or twice...

7. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    All of the above and
    Toilet paper!!!:big_smile:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Four things I have found useful on a boat are 1.Blond,2.Redhead,3.Brunnette,4.TOILET PAPER!!!!The latter particularly if any of the former are on board.I would also suggest you secure the Charmin in a Ziploc bag in a dry compartment.You will not need a horn or sound producing device if you offer wet toilet paper to 1,2,or 3.Of course if the offender is particularly well endowed she can be used as a flotation device once thrown overboard thus saving space for important things like fishing gear.In the end I have all the things listed so far but the most important is the TP and you will get style points if you have a padded toilet seat for your five gallon bucket.You males know how hard those style points are to accmulate.:eek:oooh: :tounge_out: :roll_eyes: :cool2: :big_smile: :lol:

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You make a good point, Jim, and it's not just for the women -- two times now I've been out with my kids when nature called and I was totally unprepared. And I'm not talkin' about the kind of nature call that you can stand on the edge of the boat to take care of either...

The problem with kids is that they won't tell you they have to go until they have to go *right now* - and by then it's too late to run to the nearest marina.

Lesson learned, however, and I now carry toilet paper (not a whole roll) and a big plastic bag, sealed in a zip-lock bag in my boat's dry storage area. I already have a bucket for my cast net, so it's a minor issue to get set up for Number Two.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    One other item that I just found a few days ago but have wanted for the last year:

An emergency fish hook removal kit.

I already have a well-stocked first aid kit in my boat, but couldn't find one that included a fish hook removal tool or any of the related "stuff" you'd need.

Finally found such a kit at Cabelas the other day and it's been added to my boat first-aid kit. This kit has a special "hook extractor" tool plus antiseptic, bandages, etc.

I was fishing in Canada last summer and on the very first morning, a guy in another party came back to the lodge after an hour, with a hook buried deep in his thumb. He had to travel nearly 100 miles each direction to a hospital and had to pay out of pocket for the medical services. Don't know if he could have used one of these kits or not, but I sure would have tried it before traveling all that distance and spending the money...

11. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    a few things i would add would be 1. a vhf radio, wether handheld or permanantly installed in the boat, with all the weather stations on it... it could be a life saver if your cell phone is not working and you have a major problem.. 2. a fully charged battery powered spot light, it can be used to signal someone at night, or just to find your way at night

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if gonna take cell phone be sure to put in in the dry box, just a little water behind the battery renders it complely useless, unless ur outta weights.

13. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I carry a spare cotter pin and nut in case my prop gets fouled by fish line.keep spare bulbs for your nav. light and anchor light for those night trips. I had my nav bulb burn out on a night trip on the James. I fished all night without it, moving from spot to spot was risky.All ways keep a spot light because you never know when a day trip could turn into a night trip. (motor trouble etc.) Trash bags You can hand one to your buddy when it starts to rain.Extra 2 cycle oil in case you run out of fuel and somebody in a 4 stroke stops to help you. Bring extra fues you never know.Bring a map for your body of water.

14. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think you guys have all covered the basics as far as safety and precautionary items...but seeing this would be a fishing trip I believe "bait" would be my most important item. It is never bad to be overly prepared when it comes to bait wether that means having plenty of it, they right kind or having a good way of transporting it and keeping it lively. Never skimp on the bait tank or livewell part of your bait preparation. Fresh bait is the key! Always carry a bait pump of some sort in case whatever system you are using fails. I have a pump from wal-mart, the $ 20 kind with the suction cups on the bottom. I will take the cap off the top so it will flow constant like a foutain and not stream out like water gun and then I will splice the wiring and add about 15 feet to it and have alligator clips on the ends so I can attach it to any battery and set the pump anywhere it needs to be, a bucket a cooler or a livewell that deesn't have a system in it. Works great if needed.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One thing not to leave home without especially in the rivers is a boost pack.
    Mine has 800 cranking amps and 2 cigarette lighter sockets and plugs.

There isnt much that can compare to running 15 miles downriver and lose a battery charge, especially on a river like the Cape Fear river. You might not see another boat for a few days and cell service is spotty.

Not only are they great on the boat but when you aren't using it in the boat keep it in the truck or the wife's car. They do save alot of headaches , pain , and suffering. Dead batteries always happen at the worst times.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The most important thing I always carry is a cell phone and wear a auto PFD. I'm usually less than a mile from the house so I can easily return for those little things. If I ever have a motor problem, just call the marine patrol, they'll give me a free tow or boost for I'm a member. :smile2:

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think you need to carry all the things required by the coast guard for the size of boat you have an then just the nessasary things for your own comfort and safty for whatever water you're boating on. A lot times I see where people have so many things piled on there boat it hardly leaves room to move without tripping over the stuff.

18. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    I thank Common Sense is the best thing you can put in you boat, there are a lot of boaters that don't have any.....

19. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Fishing poles, Bait, Tackle box. Life jacket. Scales, D/camera. and my Rabbits foot.

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You'll need a dry place for all of this stuff...Rubbermaid makes a line of storage boxes with over-center latches that fills that need. The small one is maybe 20"x14"x12". I have two...one for my boat, and the other on my four-wheeler.

A couple of ponchos can be real trip-savers, and always have something that can be used to bail with. We want the water outside the boat.:wink: