What is your weapon of choice for Turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by TDawgNOk, Dec 1, 2007.

What is your weapon of choice for turkeys?

1. Rifle

2. 20 ga shotgun

3. 12 ga shotgun

4. bow & arrow

5. club

6. bare hands

7. fishing pole

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, so I've got me a deer. I know our family property has TONS of Turkey on it, and in preparation for trying to get one in the spring I'm wondering what my fellow BOC brothers use to get turkey.

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i myself use a semi REM-MAG 12 G 3 inch #5 or 6's

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There aint no stoppin the Dawg now fellas he has outdoor fever sumpin fierce:go::big_smile_2::big_smile_2::big_smile_2:

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    A knife and a fork :big_smile:

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Bare hands, and no camo whatsoever.

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Turkey fishing is a great ,but little known sport.:cool2:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anything ......salt on its tail,bare hands....gun........AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:big_smile:

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Official National Wild Turkey Federation Winchester 12 gauge 1300 pump with the laminated stock.

For giving a Turkey a better than even chance was my early model 12 gauge Mossberg 870 3 1/2 inch mag. with the "Un ported" barrel.I believe it to leave the Turkey hunter looking worse and with more damage than the Turkey!Anyone who fires one twice has GUTS! I think a third time is considered stupidity! It was nice to have something that no one wanted to borrow a second time and they never shot up the box of shells they bought,so I ended up with quite a few shells.They would always agree to buy their own shells and to give me any leftover.I know.I was evil.

I killed most of my Turkeys in my lifetime as a kid with a .22 rifle.Close head shots as I stood under them in a tree while they all ignored me and watched the dog treeing them.

Turkey hunting as it is known today is a deliberately made hardest way to kill a Turkey so that you can sell products.Turkeys are a very stupid bird in many ways and any old selfish Turkey hunter could,did and can still wipe out the average flock in less than a week.I had a uncle who did this to every flock he ever heard of.This is why Turkeys were wiped out in so many States.The claim you often hear,"Turkeys are smart" is funny and a joke to any old Turkey hunter.Their reply to it was,"Only if you are stupid enough to be dumber than a Turkey."I ain't judging or condeming the modern day sportsman Turkey hunter.He should do what he injoys.I will say that any one who says that a Turkey is smart and believes it,is telling me how smart he ain't and I ain't the brightest light in town.A extremely sensitive sense of sight,hearing and smell ain't smarts.

I worked for years to bring back Turkeys in my area.From collecting and hatching eggs,to trapping their predators,including humans.Had Turkeys been smart,this would not have been necessary nor would they need the protection of today.They would be listed along with the animals that man has tried to wipe out and failed.

You should have no trouble killing a Turkey unless you wish to make it hard for Sportsmanships sake.I have not killed Turkeys since being a youth.They were tough,but My grandmother liked to stew one every now and then.We killed a wild Turkey or Hog if we wanted one in my youth.There was no hunting involved.Killing a Turkey is like killing a pigeon in a park.Turkey hunting is like a grown up Halloween with the expensive outfit,dressing up,make up and making the weird noises.

Sitting still and watching anything is usually enjoyable.Killing or catching was always secondary unless grandma or someone wanted something.Watching someone get a thrill was always a lot more thrill for me.It could be because I have been getting mine since I can Remember.Calling a Turkey or grunting up a Gator was fun.I use to squeal up a wild hog by sounding like a pig.

Keep letting us know how you are doing.Hunting is Sportsmanship and fun.Plain old killing is just work.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I voted bare hands with a fork in one hand and a steak knife in the other.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    weapon of choice ? 12 ga. for anything that walks, crawls, or flies around here. :big_smile: :cool2:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 12 ga Ithica mod 37 field grade with a 30 " bbl and screw in chokes ,Rem,3" turkey loads in #6 shot bagged two for me this spring.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I taken several nice Easterns here in Kentucky with my ole trusted Rem. Mag 12 gauge pump. #5's

13. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i have killed many turkeys with my mossberg model 500 pump action 12 gauge chambered for 3" magnum loads. But the funnest way i have harvested a bird is with a bow and arrow, they should be close, and you gotta wait for the right time to draw back or they will see you and be gone.

Good luck huntin

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I use a Mossberg 500 pump most of the time. Although my wife gets a kick out of my other favorite way, my bare hands. I have yet to catch one, but have been within inches. I only do this when someone else is driving and the turkeys are close to the road. It seems that they don't know what to think when some idiot jumps out of a car running at them:crazy:
    Chip

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't really hunt turkeys much, but i used to a lot. i would use my marlin model 60 .22. i would spot turkeys in a field, then sneak up the windrow and shoot four of them. it's legal in my neck of the woods, and after you get the first one and the rest run away, it's easy to hit em at the base of the neck. i passed up a lot of shots at turkeys during bow season, maybe i will try it like that next year.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't hunt, but a fork and Knife should be on that pole ; )

Sorry, I couln't help myself
    -Jim-

17. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like a knife and fork. Later Andy

18. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I use either a Winchester 1300 12 ga or a Remington 870 Express 12 ga. Both with an extra full choke.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot a 870 special purpose 3" mag with Winchester supreme #6 shot. It's a lil short barrled gun an kicks with heave loads. Actually kills on one end and mangales on the other but it will get er' done if ya put it on his head.

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Actually don't use a pole but have caught several with small #8 or 10 trebles on 30 pound mono baited with canned sweetcorn in a baited patch. Strictly a survival deal, but it works...

Oh, as a matter of record I did it on My own property and the turkeys were stealing horse food !!