What is your sonar telling/showing you ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have a friend, Jake Bussolini, who after retiring has given his all in studying fishing and the interpretation of his sonar screen. In the past I have worked with him on this project and he has allowed me access to the three photo's below to share with the membership of the BOC.

Jake and myself know what these objects/photo's depict and it is our desire to share this information with you, but first we want the BOC membership to study them and post what you think you are seeing. After a period of time, I will post what they actually are and we can discuss them in further detail.

Hint: one photo is of a blue catfish.

2. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Well I must be the first to respond. I don't have sonar on my boat and have never used sonar - so the best I can do is guess. The fist picture represents a cat suspended just above the bottom. The second is a rock, stump or log on the bottom, third is a stump with weeds possible growing upward surrounded by bait fish and the arc an approaching fish. Very interesting none the less - very different view compared to my fish finder. While I'm just guessing I can see this would be a very useful tool in finding not only fish but structure.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    You know Mac I am really new at this the only one I might take a guess at is the 3rd pic. Looks like a fish holding by a structure of some sort...maybe a tree? This is the stuff I really struggle with is reading my graph.

4. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    1-cat,2-brushpile,3-striper stalking crappie on pvc condo?

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Another one that I made back in Oct. 2008. What does the sonar screen depict.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    First one looks like a brush pile with some stray limbs sticking up, could be a very dense school of bait fish. Second one looks like a hump or rock. Third one is a fish suspended near a stump or snag. The second post looks like crappie or bass suspended around a tree or stump.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mac this home computer doesn't show a clear picture so I can't tell much about picture #2.

Picture #1 is a catfish.

Picture #3 is suspended bait fish of some kind on a hump. Could be white perch, Crappie or some other bait fish. To the right of the hump is a scaled fish of some kind.

The second post I can't see clear enough to take a guess.

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am just learning and don't know much. The first pic in the first post I would think was a fish and would for sure set up on it. I've set up on a few of those this year with some good fish to show for it, although I am usually moving faster than .7mph. I don't see many of those. I would like to know how fast the boat was moving in the other pics. The second a brush pile and the third I see alot in rivers and assume that its turbulance from current flowing over a rock or other object and something small behind it. The next post looks like a lot of small fish around a stump or something. I am sure curious to see what others and yourself say.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    1. School of fish or bait just off the bottom with a few fish farther off the bottom.
    2. fish or bait hugging tight to the bottom.
    3. a tree maybe and no idea about the large arch on the right.
    post 2 may be fish around a stump or fish feeding on a pod of bait and the dark line across the screen is possibly your bait or baits.

10. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    The display looks identical to my Garmin.
    1st looks like bait fish, maybe shad.
    2nd hard to tell with the blur but probably a log or rock.
    3rd maybe a under water spring or marsh gas with a fish to the right.

11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Mac we are ready for the answer!:big_smile: or atleast I am..:haha::haha:

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Okay, here is what the sonar pictures depicted.

Photo No. 1 is an Ark. Blue catfish. How do we know, we dropped the bait down on it and we caught it.

Photo No. 2 is a log. How do we know, we dropped a bait down and nothing happen. Then I dropped my jigging spoon down and snagged the log.

Photo No. 3 is an underwater spring with a nice size fish nearby. Notice that the cold water from the spring dissipates as it works it way upward thru the warm water in the water column.

Photo No. 4 is a school of white perch around a pod of bait fish. My guide party caught 18 or 19 one pound to one and one half pound perch off of this site. Nobody hung up while jigging, so I not sure that there was any brush down there. With three novice fishermen jigging it is reasonable to assume that if there was brush there, one of them would have snagged it.

I thank each and everyone of you for offering your guesses of what the photo's depicted. Also, I hope this little exercise might help you in the future.

13. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
  14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A super informational thread, Mac. I've been following along; but the spring had me stumped; I don't think I've seen anything like that here on Santee Cooper. Thanks for posting. :big_smile:

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How do you know it wasnt a BIIIIIIG cat that wasnt hungry:big_smile:

16. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Yesterday (12-07-08) I could not find any striper's feeding close to the surface, so I spent 20 minutes or so doing a zig zag cruise pattern with my big engine and I ran across something interesting on my sonar. It was several striper's close to the bottom with some bait fish. I hover over the fish using my trolling motor and dropped down a 3/4 oz. chartreuse jigging spoon and got three nice striper's out of the group.

How did I know that they were stripers down there, I didn't, but I knew they were fish and once I dropped my jigging spoon down there I knew what they were. Point is, if you don't fish what you see on your sonar, then your chance of comming home skunked goes up.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice Stripers!

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Another good post, Mac. I wish the glare wasn't there, so I could see a little clearer, but no big deal. Thanks for sharing with us.

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Cool, thanks Mac. That's good stuff to know

20. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mac...I fish everything I see on the sonar, and still don't catch anything. :embarassed: What gives? :confused2: