What is your scariest fishing story? Here's mine...

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by captaincat, Jul 14, 2008.

1. captaincat

captaincat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'd just like to share one of the scariest experiences I've ever had on water. I hope it prompts y'all to do the same. This happened many years ago, but I've thought about it every time since then whenever I'm on a lake at night.
    I was night fishing at Bugg's Island (John Kerr reservoir) in my old pontoon boat, anchored about 50' from shore in Nutbush Creek, a 7-mile long straight stretch of water that's about 1/4 mile wide its entire length.
    Anchored right next to me were Mark & his wife, Bonnie, in their 21' Sunray. Both boats were displaying 360-degree white lights, and we were so close to each other that we could talk boat-to-boat without raising our voices.
    It was a very quiet night and we were landing some beautiful stripers & some nice cats on downrods. At about 3am, we heard a boat under power headed up Nutbush Creek in our direction. The engine noise got louder and louder for several minutes, and we could tell it was moving up the creek at full throttle. When we finally saw its bow lights we realized it was hugging the shoreline and heading straight for us! Mark and I both grabbed spotlights and started flashing them at the boat. It made no difference, the boat did not change course or slow down at all. Mark and his wife stood on their stern, ready to jump. I did the same, and I'm telling you - we were some kinda scared!
    The boat passed directly between our boats at approx. 70 mph, and we saw two women, obviously drunk, laughing and yelling as their wake and spray drenched us. It took the three of us at least an hour to calm down. Luckily, we all had a change of underwear with us!
    You've read my story, now I'd like to hear yours.
    Good luck with yer fishin'. CaptJim

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Me and a buddie was above 12 bridge on beaver lake. We had fished several spots going up the river ( I had been driving) Danny decides to run down into the lake, being his boat he sits down and away we go. After going under the bridge, Danny has the ears laid back on this 150 yamaha, he lays into a turn and little did we know a big banana lookin boat had just passed. We hit the wake runnin full tilt,,,sideways. NOT GOOD!!! Had i not caught my hand under the seat it would have thrown me out. Anyway the boat seemed to be 10 feet in the air and may have been. I guess Danny torqued the wheel because when we landed, the boat turned 90 degrees and i bout wet myself. Also to end this story on a good note, the boats in my yard as i write this. He gave it to me.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Too bad you wern't pulled up on a sand bar... that would have been an education for them..
    Mine was one day while fishing from my Kayak in a 60 foot deep hole.( I was anchored right on the edge of the drop off about 20 feet from shore) I hooked a Bull Shark about 7 or 8 feet long, the Shark pulled the yak and anchor into the deep water and then ran under the boat and out the other side heading upstream, I flipped the reel into free spool to keep from being flipped. The reel backlashed and locked up. Line went tight and the next thing I knew I was in the water. Never knew I could swim that fast. I hit the bank and watched my yak heading up the river (My rod was fastened to the yak with a leash). . Lucky for me a charter boat owned by a friend of mine was drift fishing a couple of hundred feet up river from me and he saw what had happened. He gave chase to my boat and hooked one of the carry handles with a gaff. The Shark then broke off. when he towed the yak back to me he said "first time I ever caught a 14 foot plastic fish" !!! Now when fishing Sharkey waters I use a spinning reel and keep a knife handy to cut the line if I have to. Yes , the swim cleaned out my shorts !!!:eek:oooh:

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    My scariest Fishing Trip was on the Wateree River up at Lughoff,my uncle and I were down there Striper Fishing in the Spring of 2003,there had been terrible Flooding the week leading up to it and the water was coming over the Dam at Lake Wateree,plus they were running as much water as they could,so needless to say the current was roaring down the river,we put in at the Camden landing and went up river by the shoals at the island,the bite was on fire,that was some of the best Striper fishing we had experienced in along while,we decided to do on up river towards the dam as we heard that the bite was even better within a 1/4 mile of the dam,so we got up past the shoals headed up river and caught the rest of our 2 limits,on the way back down as we were approaching the shoals,with the wind blowing 20mph and all that current we had to make a quick left hand turn in my 16ft Rhyan Craft john boat,when I turned the tiller to make the hard left,the current just swept the boat on around towards the rocks,the prop caught on of the rocks and it stalled the motor,luckily we made it through the curve somehow without power,as I was pulling the rope trying to restart and we were catching our breath,we thought we had it made,we looked up as we past the shoals and low and behold there was 1 tree hanging over in the water with 1 limb hanging into the water,I was trying to pull the motor as we approached but not enough time,the boat hits the tree broadside andthe water rushes over the side and capsizes us,Steve is on the bank side and I am off down the river with no life Jacket on{stupid},i float about 50 yards before I can make it to the bank,the boat luckily stays pinned against the tree,some guys camping on the island rush over in there boat when they see what had happened and put me in the boat,and we pull my boat back over,we go to the island and try to get it started but it want,they go and try to collect the things floating,we did get my bait tank and a few other things back,but lost about 8 ambassedeurs and rods and tackle,2 batteries,phones,etc,.We put the boat back in and floated to the landing about 2 miles downstream and loaded it up,the motor was fine after cleaning the carb at home,our pride was hurt but we were both safe and thats all that matters,it was a freak accident,we had been up and down that river 100 times but this one day made a costly error in judgement,it could have been much worse,but I will never forget it,i still get chills sometime when I think about it,Lughoff is a wild and desolate place and it can hurt you quick but that day the Stripers were running and the bite was furious,just goes to show what a fishermen will do to catch a fish

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    The most frightened I’ve ever been fishing. My brother Russell ( 16 yrs. Old at the time ) and myself (21 at the time) were out camping & fishing on Lake Murray. We were camping on what we have all ways call P-nut Island just off Dreher. We spent 14 days straight out on that island. We had our Crest 25’pontoon at the time. Well one night we were awoken by my dog Sheeba barking. I got up to see what was going on , and it was the high winds & waves crashing that had her excited. The water was way to ruff I thought to cross back to the big island and shelter. The rain wasn’t to bad and our tent was holding up well. So we settled back in to our tent to ride it out, we did bring Sheeba in with us. We had a battery power B&W TV so we turned on the news. Guess what we found out , 2 tornadoes had been spotted near the Murray Dam. Now my heart started beating. I took a peek outside to find our pontoon on it’s side on the shore not in the water any more. No Way to escape now! Terrified we just sit there huddled up in that old tent. We could hear the large pine trees falling all over the island, jumping in our skin each time. Just knowing that the next one was gonna land right on top of us, killing us both and the dog to. All we could do was pray that we make it through the night. Well as you know we made it but man that was torture to just set there through all that carnage in nothing more than a tent. The next morning there were boats adrift every where. We were able to right our pontoon and use logs the pry it back into the water. We lost some gear & bait that’s all. We went straight to the big island and called home, to find that our mom ( back in Union) had been up all night praying & crying cause she couldn’t make my dad come and check on us. He told her his boys had enough since to get off that island before the storm got to us. So to save her the Heart Attack & my Dad a beating that’s what we let her believe we did.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    It would have to be the time, me and a friend was fishing Elwood Res. in Nebraska. I carry a weather scanner with me and heard of a fast aprroaching storm headed our way. The storm was moving 60 mph and it was 30 miles from our location. We headed for the boat ramp and hooked the boat up to my truck. I got back to the cabin just in time. The wind was blowing around 70 mph with rain and hail. I heard the tornado sirens blarring and I was freaking out to get the boat back into the garage. Luckily the tornado was a few miles away from us and moving to a different area. Thank God! I got the boat backed in with the help of my wife, because it was pitch black and I couldn't see with wind blowing stuff all over the place. That night tested my nerves. Lesson learned that I always check the weather before proceding to the water.

Mark..

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well Jim, I think my scariest time was with you.A few weeks back we had that pontoon boat at full throttle heading directly at us. The driver was looking towards the stern, I was looking for a place to jump and you were looking for the whistle, LOL. Heck we were only 15' from the shoreline and this guy would have kill us or rammed the shore.

I haven't been on boats as long as you guys but this was my worst close call I've been in.

Captain, I'm glad to see you posting, great thread. I hope you continue posting, you are a walking fishing dictionary and your input around here would be most appreciated ; )

When we fishing ?

Fish on !!!
    -Jim-

8. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    2 stories:

When I was young I ventured to the other side of lake Moultrie in a 16 foot jon boat. Wind picked up, so I headed back home. By the time I got to the middle of the lake the wind picked up to 30 MPH......enough said

Late one night while on Moultrie, the water got too rough to fish, so we went into the canal for shelter. We tied on to a limb to wait it out. The Pinopolis dam was pulling hard so there was alot of current in the canal. Sitting there in the black dark something slammed into the pontoon. I told my buddy "dang a big log just floated into us"...about that time "slam", another one. I thought maybe the log was hung on the pontoon or something. I turned my head lamp on and leaned over the side of the boat while still sitting in my chair. My face was was about 20 inches from a 12 foot 750 pound furious hissing alligator. I'm not scared of alligators, but to have one that close to my face in the pitch black dark was uncomfortable.....we had tied up beside her nest.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mine would have to be the time me and 2 freinds were heading for the Gallatin Steamplant to do some Striper fishing in my boat. It was late winter and we always left my Grandfathers dock before daylight so we could make the 6 mile trip and still arrive at dawn. There had been a bad storm for a few days and the water was up. I really didn't think about there being a bunch of debris floating in the lake. I had a big run-a-bout with a walk through windsheild with a big evinrude motor. We were running along pretty good when all of a sudden we hit a submerged log and came to a complete stop. The motor stopped and there we sat dead in the water in the complete darkness. One of my freinds was thrown into the corner of the windsheild and cut up pretty bad. My other freind was thrown out of his seat and I almost left the boat myself. As my freind was bleeding and the motor wouldn't start.....we drifted for what seemed like an hour before it became dawn and we could see. The lake was full of Big Logs and trash. There wasn't any other boaters for a long time and so we began to use the one paddle to try and paddle back the 3 or 4 miles to the dock. Finally an old catfisherman came by and we were able to flag him down and he pulled us back to the dock. We did have several BASS fishermen just blow by us as we tried desperately to flag them down....but they just waved and went on by. Thank goodness for old catfishermen. That story is true and happened back in 1985. I have done all my fishing from the bank since then and have gone on to catch many trophy fish. Dont even ask me what I think about BASS fishermen and there $30,000 boats. That is another story for another thread:angry::angry::angry:

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    A fishing trip with my mom.

Tom

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fishing the ocean out of a small flat bottom boat iv had lots of close calls but the worst was working on a shrimp boat.bucky,the boat captain,and i were shrimping slurry bayou when a water spout came cross a small point that separated us from the gulf and bout 6 boats went to scramblin.we tied a 5 gallon bucket to our cables and ran off and left our nets laying in the water.the spout was a large one probably 50 foot across.it missed us by 200 foot but it caught a friend of mines dads boat.it destroyed their boat and they found his dad bout 3 miles down the bay but they never did find his mom.one of the worst days of my life.

12. dixiedeerslaya

dixiedeerslaya New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we were bowfishing in a small 1436 john boat a few years ago....first off the boat is overloaded with only one person in it.... we had a 4000 watt generator, 3 deep cycle batteries, 9 gallons of gas with a deck built on the front and everything... well once you put two fellas in there its way overloaded.... well we put in at rocks pond and went out and started shooting on the front side of 16 island... it was slick calm when we went out... we were in a tournament and hit the jack pot... we had a 55 gallon drum full of carp, gar and catfish.... we had so many fish that carp were jumping out of the barrel.... we had over 400lbs of fish in the boat... we knew the wind had started blowing a little but we had no idea what we were in for when we came around the other side of that island... oooo man... now remember all the gear, 400lbs of fish, and 2 200lb people in this little 14 footer... the wind was howling and immediatly we had waves coming over the front of the boat... must have been 3 footers out there i swear... well we were in a tournament so we had to get back to the landing.... so we just got close to the bank and took it really really slow.. we figured if we sank the boat we would be in about 4 foot of water or less..... well then it got worse real fast.... we fan up on a stump that was just a few inches under the water.... now we are stuck on a stump in an overloaded top heavy boat and the waves are starting to come over the back... i immediately ran to the front and after about 10 minutes of trying to push with the paddle and rock in rythem with the waves we mad it off... and finnally made it back to the hill....... we gained a new respect for that lake that night........ i now have a bigger boat and still keep an eye on the wind more than ever.... i never would have thought the water could get that rough in that little stretch between rocks pond and 16 island..........

13. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    About dark after an afternoon of brim fishing, I reached down and grabbed my stringer of fish without looking at it. I started up the hill and noticed something hitting my leg and the stringer felt heavier than it should. I looked down and a BIG snake had half swallowed one of my brim. He was trying to get loose as I was bouncing the thing on my leg! Probably wasn't poison, but it makes no difference if you are talking about MY leg!

14. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, this is really more funny than scary.:wink: My nephew found an old canoe and gave it to my son (Blake). We paddled around our neighborhood pond awhile, then we got the bright idea to put it in Eighteen mile creek (not Hartwell Lake but the creek with running water).:crazy: We told my wife that we would call her to pick us up at Burdette's bridge when we got there. We parked my truck in Fants Grove near Hwy. 76. We started out on a good float, but after we had gone a ways there was a bend in the creek with a beaver dam that we couldn't see until we was on top of it. Just before we hit Blake, who was about 11 at that time, shifted his weight and over we went.:tounge_out: All of our stuff went in with us. Blake yelled "Oh God, this is it, we're through." I said "Hey Blake stand up the water is not that deep." He was trying to swim and didn't realize he could touch the bottom.:roll_eyes: We grabbed our rods and tackle and threw it in the canoe. We carried it around the beaver dam, and we were off again. We were planning to take out of the creek and paddle around in the swamp, but after he had flipped us there was no way I was getting in that swamp with him.:eek:oooh: We came to a split in the creek and I had forgot which way to go. We went left and didn't hardly get anywhere before there was a tree across the creek. We tried to turn around, but over we went. This time I lost one of my flip-flops. We carried the canoe back up the creek to the split and went down the right side this time. There was another tree across that side too, but it was about 18 inches from the water. I told Blake to duck down we were going under it. That was no problem for him, but I couldn't get my fat tail down that low. My head hit the tree and back in the creek we went. After getting the water out of canoe we were off again. We seen a huge cottonmouth laying on a log. We past right beside him. After that there was another beaver dam. I saw this one in plenty of time to get the canoe out of the water. We carried the canoe around it, which is no fun in poison oak with one flip-flop and short-legged britches on. I was thinking, where is that bridge? When we got there I grabbed my cell phone, to call my wife, and that soggy son-of-gun was dead. I climbed the rocky bank to the road and started to flag down cars. Its hard to get someone to stop for a 300 pound wet dood with one flip-flop, no shirt, and short legged britches on. Thank the Lord for that brave soul who did, cause I would have been chaffed from my knees to belly button if I would have had to walk to my truck.:smile2:

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My wife and I got caught in a severe lightning storm, out of gas floating down the Big Pee Dee once. That was harrowing to say the least. She gave me heck about that one, and rightfully so. Another time, in fact a few months back, Dewayne and I were fishing in near flood stage waters on the Pee Dee, and nearly got crushed with floating debris while tied up. Only other thing I can think of is when I was a youth, we were water skiing at lake Wallace here in Bennettsville, probably drinking and reckless. The side post battery slid over and both terminals contacted my metal six gallon gas tank. It immediately started smoking, and I snatch it off, but not before it had burned a hole in the tank. Only the Good Lord knows why it did not explode. Otherwise, life's been pretty good on the water.
    Bill in SC

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You know, after reading back through all the posts of near tragedies, and seeing all the thanks on the posts, it should make us all reflect back as to how blessed we really are. Nowadays, it seems that when some poor drunken souls sink and drown due to stupidity, we all say, "Boy that's a shame, but they were idiots." I guess we have all done stupid things from time to time, and after reading all these posts, once again, we are ALL blessed to be here. I won't say lucky, because I don't really believe in luck. God bless each and every one of you!
    Bill in SC

17. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I agree with Bill. there are always those less fortunate than use. I guess the worst thing for me was an all night fishing trip with someone who ate 3 bowls of chili beans.:crazy:It never rained, but it thundered all night long.:crazy:

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: You shouldnt talk about Patman or Bruce like that,it had to be one of them because I know it wouldnt me.:smile2::smile2:

19. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Well, it weren't me, 'cause I don't fish at night!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pat it sure looks dark in that Avatar.:smile2: