What is your preferred rod length and why??

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Sep 29, 2009.

how long of a rod do you use for bank fishing and why??

1. 6ft

2. 7ft

3. 8ft

4. 9ft

5. 10ft

6. 11ft

7. 12ft

8. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am curious as to what length of rod everyone is choosing for their bank fishing trips. personally i take two 10ft, 1 9ft and a shorter rod ether a 8 or 7 foot. i do this because i like to very my distance from the bank and rod length can help me be more effective in casting precision and distance. what are your thought??? preffered

2. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i should have made it a multi choice poll sorry..

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I use a 10 ft heavy, and and several 7 and 7 1/2 ft medium heavy ugly sticks. i have some random shorter stuff for chunkin stink bait and catching bait with.

the 10 footer usually gets cast out once per trip witha big ol gill on it and soaks. the rest have 8/o circles and kahles on em adn 1-6 oz weights and the biggest shad or gills i have left. im not very accusrate with teh 10 footer..still getting used to it

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like 8 footers for the fishing I do most of the time. gives me enough casting distance and plenty of leverage fighting fish. There are times though when I wish I had some longer rigs. Overall though, the 8's are just right.

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I checked 8 ft. but vary between 7 1/ and 8 ft. rods because when I do bank fish it's either small lakes or river tributaries and I can use either 7 1/2 or 8 ft. 1 pc rods for both bank and boat. They both afford castability and enough backbone to horse a big fish out of cover. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    all of my rods i use on my boat are 7 foot or around that. and i rarely fish on the bank. so when a friend talks me into it im not gonna go out and buy all new rods. so i use what i have. and they work just fine for bank fishing.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    If I need distance, igo with my 10ft. I also throw out one of my 8 footers:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It all depends on whether one fishes from boat or bank. I voted 8ft. Most of mine are between 7 and 10 ft. I do prefer one piece rods over two piece.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All of the rods I use are 12' casting models. I have 2 Okuma rods rated 3-8oz which casts nice with 5oz n bait. I also have a OM Cape Point which has a 6-12oz lure rating which is a real beast which can cast 6oz n bait with ease. I use ABU 6500 and 7000's with the rods. I prefer the 12' models because I need distance. Good luck.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    this question was intended for the bank fisherman...i should have put that in the poll question for the people seeing it in the "new post" section not the "bank fishing" section.

11. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I use a 10ft mostly, but I also have shorter ones, it just depends on where I'm fishing and whether it is for flats or channels.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I fish from a boat and from shore. I use 7-10 footers for both. With my 10 footers I can cast all the way to the opposite shore or fishing straight off the back of the boat I can keep a decent spread between my baits in current. From shore it seems there is ALWAYS a honey hole just out of casting range so I use the 10 footers for that.

I have always found it humorous that when fishing on shore I cast as far as I can. Yet, from a boat, I cast as close to shore as I can too! I thing we all have a little Tim the tool man in us and just like to see how far we can cast a hook, line and sinker! :smile2:

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If I am on the bank, anywhere from 8-10 foot depends on the width of the area I am fishing.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use a couple 7ft Big water ugly,s for 90% of my flattin.They,re both rated for 50-80# line,it helps me move em quick where I,m fishing close to snags.I also got a 12ft XH bigwater ugly for a few spots where I gotta get some real distance.

15. lakebum2007

lakebum2007 New Member

State:
    Kendallville, Indiana
    I prefer about a seven foot rod med heavy but it just depends

16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the BOC Lakebum, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site, take advantage....

there are some good posts coming in, keep them coming guys....

i have seen some 15 footers in the tackle shop, i have thought about getting one, but i think it may be over kill what do you all think???

17. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I have a pair of 10 footers that were my parents...about 25 years old & I love to use em...:cool2:

18. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I carry four rods. I may not use the all a once. A light weight 6 footer for catching green sun fish or bream.

Then 9 footers are used for Liver and stink bait. For ponds and small streams this is all I use.

In big water I use the 11 foot rods to handle the extra weight of sinkers plus a big bait. I want a good size green sun fish, bullhead, bluegill or cut bait.

19. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like 7 footers pretty well. Most of the time I bank fish its at a pond, and I can hit the other bank with a 7 footer and a 1 ounce or less sinker. Plus they fit in the rod locker of my boat. I have a 12 foot surf rod but I havent used it much since I bought the boat

20. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Terry and Daniel....