What is your prefered sinker in current ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cat tamer, Aug 17, 2007.

1. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    What is your preferred sinker when fishing in strong current ?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    An addequate no roll on a carolina rig.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll second George's reply.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I got to go with the fellows above me - No-Rolls all the way.
    :wink:

5. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    pyramid sinker preferably only three sides but four sided works well too.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Flat bank for me.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I prefer a heavy bank sinker. They don't tend to hang as bad and the 5 ounce or bigger ones will hold good in decent current. Vern

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't picked up any no-rolls yet, so I fish egg sinkers on Carolina rigs cast behind the boat. That's important - the current will drag most stuff back there anyway, so it's safest to position the boat upstream of the spot and cast straight down current.

For casting out across the current, I go with pyramid sinkers. They are made to grab the bottom and dig a little, so they don't roll or drag.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I use flat bank sinkers most of the time. They're not supposed to roll around but they do anyway, mostly because I'm using 30 lb mono that makes for a lot of drag in the water. If the current is really strong, I have to revert to regular bank sinkers in 10 or 12 oz, as that's the only mold I have that big.

Never have been a big fan of no-roll slip sinkers - I don't use a carolina rig most of the time anyway and there's something about having a huge chunk of lead rubbing on the mono that worries me - I'd hate to lose a fish due to an abraision caused by the sinker.

10. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I'm a no rool guy. Between 3 and 5 oz.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
  12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    excellent choice. same here. i also like the fact that a bank will drop straight down and not flutter down to where it needs to be. more accurate casting. i use 8 to 16 ounce ones below cannelton.

13. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    here are my sinker and rig choices

Attached Files:

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    whoops here are the sinkers...i hope:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    While in most conditions I use no-rolls, in heavier current I will switch to bank sinkers. That is partly because no-rolls sizes max out at 8 oz, but I also think that the shape of the bank sinker allows it to settle in the muck on the bottom a little quicker and hold better.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I like the plain old bank sinker, up to 5 or 6 ounces. They seem to hold pretty well and don't hang up nearly as bad as an egg or no roll sinker will. I use them on a Carolina rig. Change knots often though if you're using a Carolina rig as the knot will get worn. I never use beads b/c they are harder than mono and provide no protection whatsoever no matter what anyone says. The soft beads work but are waaaaaayyyyy to expensive.

17. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I perfer 2- 3oz,or 4oz bank sinkers in heavy current I couldn't tell you why but that rig doesn't seem to hang-up,or roll as much in a heavy current as 1 big sinker.I guess 2 are just better than one.:big_smile:

18. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I use pyramid's, but have seen the storm sinkers. They look like they work real well. Just cant find em close. I have used the big bank sinkers, and they seem to work pretty well. I can just go lighter with a pyramid