What is your opinion of using cut carp?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Montgomery, May 9, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    was just wondering how many of you out there have succses useing cut carp as bait. i know i have read about people useing it . but i was just wanting to know personal results you know. thinking about giving it a try. theres carp every were . heck one decent carp is a lot of bait.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the best luck i had with cut carp was when the water was high and muddy , but i dont know what took the bait it was to big to get in and pulled the hook

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We use small carp (alive) for flathead bait around here when we can catch them small enough. (1 pound and under) these are gold river carp, they work pretty good. a lot of people are talking about using asian carp, and silver carp. i would'nt know about them as our rivers are'nt polluted with them YET!

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use cut carp some and have caught some good fish on it. Although its not the best it will work.

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Done real good with cut carp on a trotline. Caught quite a few eater sized cats on it.

Will

6. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I primarliy use cut carp when I want larger fish. Dough bait for quanity under a slip bobber in shallow water and cut carp for larger fish either shallow or tight lining deaper water. I like to fillet the carp leaving the bones in and cut 1" chunks which I place on a size 4 Circle hook. I usually spend Sunday afternoons having fun catching carp on corn flake dough balls to be used for catfish bait the following week. It seems fresh carp chunks work better for me than those that have soured so I keep the carp in the frig or on ice.

Rick

7. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've caught two fish in the 40s and one 52 lb flathead on cut carp. I used the whole head of a 15lb carp for the bigger fish, but I usually cut steaks from them and throw them out. It also seems as if they only hit on carp around here when the water is really high, cold, and muddy. I always have a line with cut carp out though, they are EVERYWHERE when I'm fishing.

8. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Fresh carp works best when used for blue cat bait here is Texas. I scale the fish and trim off the flesh leaving the rib cage on the fish. I then cut one to two inch chunks and put them on the hook. Stays on real good. Shad are the best, but I use carp when I can get them. Pat Muckelroy