What is your opinion of the Mag Abu Garcia's?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by baptistpreach, Sep 6, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Is it true they virtually eliminate backlash (with their magnetice brake)? I was thinking of picking up a 4600 C4 Mag that would work well for both catfish, and bass. What do you think??

2. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    I didn't know they made that model with a mag brake...if you are going by the web site...don't. It looks screwed up to me. check the columns and the discriptions they are moved over one notch on the bottom three models.
    I have the 6600 D5 and no, it doesn't eliminate backlashes....does it help?
    maybe but you still have to fool with it a good bit to get the desired results.
    I also have the Abu torno mag brake...same opinion. But all is not lost...get the reel(s) and practice. And soon you will be turning off all that c**p anyway because it shortens the distance you can cast. I have a rod/reel combo for both fish (cat and bass) IMHO this is the best scenario.

3. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i have a reel with magnetic brakes but it backlashes more than my abu garcia 6000. but then again the 6000 does have heavier line. but you have more controlon youre reel tension with magnetic reel.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The mag-brake system works fine. I've built two reels with it in them, the 4600 and the 5600. They work fine to eliminate birdsnests as long as you adjust them out right. There's now two points of adjustments, so it takes a little while to get it adjusted. However, you can adjust any of the abu garcia reels to not backlash.

The true reason for the magnetic cast control, is for someone who is changing baits of different weights and flight charctaristics all the time. You actually want to adjust the reel to handle the lightest bait you'll throw with the magnetic controll in about the middle position. That way, when you change baits, you can just adjust the thumb lever on the endplate to fine tune it instead of changing the gross adjustment. You can actually mark on the mag-control label on the reel which line to use for which weight of bait.

So, in general, it's actually for fine tunning between baits, not for total backlash elimination.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't much care for the D5 6600 with mag I have. Get better control out of my 5600C4 with the traditional brakes. For better mag control, go with the new one the brought out in '07, its a low profile reel. Or, get a Shimano Citica.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    From one Baptist Preacher to another,Hi! Bro!!.God Bless.
    As for the reel I purchased a 6500CS MAG in april,its Green in color and it has not been used yet. I was wondering about the magnetics in the cast myself, since that is what it is designed for. the owner at the store told me it would serve as a line out alarm as well,, Not so you will not hear a thing.It might help in the anti-backlash department but thats all IMO,I think it would make a great bass reel for casting lures and such,per adjustments to each lure.It also would make a good catfish reel for somebody, but I like the Clickers on them.
    I might just give it away as a gift this Christmas.:smile2:

Does anybody on here know how to switch it over to a clicker?> :big_smile:

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know if the slot is the same as the end plates with the clicker. I'll check it out later today and see if it can be done. I'll let you know. I've got both styles of clickers, so if the slot for the mag lever is the same, it wouldn't cost more than ten bucks to convert it.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok Kenny, I just checked the endplates. The slot on the Mag endplate is about three times longer than the slot on the clicker endplate. It won't work as there will be too much travel for the clicker lever. I think it would just keep coming loose from the parts on the inside.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I thought that lever went up that reel a long way!, :crazy:

But I sure do thank you alot for checking it out for me.As well as for the rest of the information you give to others here too, including myself by just reading your post's and paying attention to them, you will learn something you did'nt know. You are the one to ask for help thats for sure.

Thanks Kenny:wink:

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I sure don't know it all, but will pass on what I do know